new lawn problem

Five weeks ago I laid a lawn with Rolawn turves ? some of which had suffered heating in the rolls ? with the subsequent death of some rolls. After telling Rolawn they provided me with three replacement turves ? which I used for patching two weeks after I initially laid the lawn. Due to this and the servicing of my lawnmower which took far longer than I imagined ? the lawn became very long and went to seed. I cut the lawn back last Saturday ? by just over a third ? reducing the length from 8 inches to just under 6 ? to find that many of the swards had gone spindly. Some areas have really thinned out.

Will I need to reseed these almost bald patches ? or will the grass regenerate and grow thicker and spread across the bald patches.

I was also wondering if I have overwatered. Because of the presence of the new turf when I patched in the dead areas ? I continued with the ?new turf' regime of 20 minutes twice a day ? to find that the area was very soft (though not flooded) when I cut the lawn back last Saturday.

I have since suspended watering the area ? and intend watering for 20 minutes twice a week.

Could anyone advise me on the above.

Thanks,

Scott Whitehead

Reply to
Scott Whitehead

What the hell are "turves"?

Reply to
John P. Mullen

had to look it up myself. I figured from what Scott said that they were rolls of sod. I found I hadn't really known what a turf was, and that it had a plural.

Reply to
Willondon

They're like swards.

Reply to
Doug G

Plural for turf ie one turf - two turves

Reply to
Scott Whitehead

DOH!

Reply to