What triggers defrosting in a Tempstar SmartComfort TX 5300?

I am wanting to check to see if there is a possible problem created in my Air Handler which might be happening when the Heat Pump enters into a defrost cycle, but I'm not sure how long I have to wait until one occurs.
The weather here is highs in the 50's and lows in mid 30's (northern Kentucky).
I have seen two designs for triggering defrosts but I'm not sure which Tempstar uses. I am suspecting its timed, but does that mean I would only need to wait about 2 hours till one occurred, or do they only start when the outside temps get down to a certain degree?
This is the unit with 10 year compressor warranty and R410A refrigerant.
Thanks
Phil
hmmm . 410A huh ? then its not that old
why dont you try conatcting the installing party, ???????
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On Nov 9, 7:31 am, snipped-for-privacy@-insightbb.com (The Freon Cowboy) wrote:

Because the 'installing party' is who I suspect may have installed it incorrectly and I don't trust whatever answer they would give me.
So I am asking here. I couldn't find any info on it on the internet, so far.
Phil
On Nov 9, 8:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Don't know that model in particular but here's some generalities. The air handler is typically not aware that the outside unit has gone into defrost. Most, no matter how they trigger a defrost cycle, they usually will have a way on the defrost board to start the cycle. That's so the service guy doesn't have to wait for one to initiate. The paperwork with the unit should give some details or you might find it on the web.

Bullshit, upon defrost every fucking heat pump condensor I've ever worked on issues a call for heating.

Momentarily jump the "tst pin

Yes it does, if the defrost board is working properly, or there are no broken wires
Hi let me first say that heat pumps I have never work on one so I could not tell you didly, however electrical trouble shooting that is different story You have stated that man did not check anything but change the fuse and out he vent, well on normal service call that is all he may need to do and as for myself I would have check current and fuse rating, fast blow fuses can some time blow for no reason, you can have spike come down the line and if fuse is rated close to the running current it most likely will open/blow, if you have something wrong in system it would have most likely blown right away. As far as defrost well that might take day or days depend on Humidity's in you area, I don't think that you would like to keep paying man sitting there waiting for unit to go into defrost cycle I definitely would not. Good luck Tony

Then why are you here typing, Tony? Bubba

you can force the heat pump to go into defrost mode. First I would only perform this if you feel comfortable working around 240VAC. turn your tstat heat up( make a call for heat) the heat pump should be running now then you need to look at heat pumps electrical schematic and find the out door fan circuit. pull the power to the outdoor fan ( normally on the defrost board ) this will cause the outdoor coil to frost up even with moderate outdoor temps the heat pump will only go into defrost when the coil is cold enough now look on the defrost board for the force defrost function (after you see frost on the coil. once you force the heat pump into "defrost" you must plug the out door fan back in. ok that's how you would check out your defrost operation, but what is your concern with your air handler? please write back before you try to check it out so I may help you diagnose your problem. Robert Moffett

A 5 amp fuse was found to have shut down the entire system. I called the installer of the 8 month old HP to do a service call. The Air Handler is 9 years old.
Service guy only opened the AH first said, "This is a Trane unit, you better call a Trane guy because I won't have any parts to fix it."
I thought this sounded very strange as I asked him specifically before hand if he would be willing to take a look at the unit. Having done my research before hand I then mentioned that there was a 5 amp fuse in there that might be bad. Thats when he mentioned "I'm looking at that right now." And I saw him pull it out and check it. It was indeed bad and was replaced. He then had me restart the system and it worked.
My problem is that he then simply asked for his check and wanted to go. No other checks or tests to the system. He waited until the HP came on, then was out the door. He didnt even wait around until it cylcled through a complete heating cycle. I kept asking him about what may have blown the fuse and he had no real idea. I had suspected it may have been something to do with the defrost cycle, but as far as I know, he did nothing to test that theory, or even test anything else like refrigerant levels, etc. He charged a full service call amount, but was gone within 15 minutes, literally.
So, I am wanting to know how long I would have to wait until the unit goes into its defrost unit, as evidence that the fuse didn't blow because of some issues with its defrost cycle. (Its only been in heat mode about 3 weeks and its not been below 32 yet)
thats the background
phil
I would not call that company again, except talk with the owner and ask for a refund. the service tech should have been able to find the short and order parts if needed. first of all the 5 amp fuse was blown you at one point had a dead short. The fuse that blew protects the 24 volt transformer. if the system has been running in heating for three weeks in heating then the system has more than likely has gone into defrost mode more than a few times. there are a few things you can do to try and find the short but if its been running ok for three weeks now you have a intermittent problem. I would first check the heat pump. turn off power to the heat pump and air handler (at main fuse panel) remove the side panel to the heat pump you will be looking for the smaller wires (low voltage) first look for any wires that run next to the coil, or are touching the coil look for worn spots on the wires that are touching the coil, this would cause a dead short and blow the fuse in the air handler. this is the most likely scenario let me know what you find and we can move on to the next step if no short is found there.

Why! Has the system been running that long consistently. Is the OD temp that cold. Where is the sensor located. Mismatched system.

Although it sounds like the guy did no diagnosing, the 15 min and what you paid is not the issue. I mean, a well educated tech could find the problem quickly while the 21 yr old new techie might spend 4 hrs finding it. Which would you feel better paying the "full service call" amount to? By the way, since Im in this area, which company did you call? Bubba

Why would you put a new HP on a 9 yo air handler. Is the system an ARI match. Sounds like you are in for many years of problems, and possibly even higher electric bills. I do believe your warranty may be voided too!
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:35:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They used demand defrost then switched back again to time/temp. After your coil sensor reaches a preset temp, your timing starts. Its prob set for 30 mins but can be 45 or 90. If the sensor opens at any time, the timing starts over again before you will see a defrost. You can also speed up the defrost timing with the test pins but I dont want to go into how to do it. Bubba