Water in Air ducts - ducts in slab

Page 1 of 2
We've lived in this house for 12 years and since the first year have had water collection in the in-slab air ducts (the down stairs ones) when there was a LOT of rain. Originally, we attributed that to a drainage problem that we had with an adjacent lot. After the drainage was fixed, the problem persisted, but only when there was exceptionally heavy rain. About 5 years ago, I thought that the airduct/water problem was due to my aging rain gutters. At the time, I couldn't afford to replace them, but I repaired the bad spots, cleaned them well and extended the down spouts far away from the foundation. So far, so good. This year, we replaced the gutters with awesome, covered models which are very efficient. However, (and I think completely by coincidence) even moderate rains are causing water in the ducts. A little history. When the water got into the ducts in past, I just waited a day or so until the water level subsided. We've never known it if we were having mold problems and while annoying, we've lived with it. Last week, we were having company so I bought a small pump and to my surprise pumped about 500 gallons of water out! No kidding. (garden hose down through a vent opening) Because these ducts are in my foundation slab, I can't look at them. However, I need any and all ideas. My duct professional (hvac guy) said I'd have to be clever because there isn't a real 'fix'. Someone somewhere must have experienced this before. At this point, I cannot pinpoint the actual source or pathway of the water that is getting in the ducts. Help, and thanks....
to keep your ducts dry.
Also replace the thermostat. It is always the thermostat.
Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

Don't for the wiring for the digital stat he will need digatal wiring! He will need waterproofed digital wiring too. Upcharge. Also needs digatal anchors and wire clips. Upcharge. Since these need to be waterproof too they will have to be hot dip shit galvanized. Upcharge. Of course he could make a fuel cell up see fuelcellboosters pay for itself in no time... -- Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
to keep your ducts dry.

Don't for the wiring for the digital stat he will need digatal wiring! He will need waterproofed digital wiring too. Upcharge. Also needs digatal anchors and wire clips. Upcharge. Since these need to be waterproof too they will have to be hot dip shit galvanized. Upcharge. Of course he could make a fuel cell up see fuelcellboosters pay for itself in no time...

Sounds like the original installation tech was all wet!

check the archives... this has been discussed several times before.

Yeah... archives are full of brilliant responses...
Wooa did a HVAC fuck bluemans wife or something? I get a kick out of someone this persistant!
I think you guys broke him!
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
Now we know why you call yourself blueman (not for your music): you talk yourself blue in your face. You're not getting too many answers anymore though. I seem to be an exception.
I also come here for fun, not being in HVAC, but YOU are real funny. You need to take your meds. You must be taking uppers to do as many posts as you have. If you don't live in a trailer, it must be that you live in an asylum! Wadda fucking nutcase.

LMAO -- at least, we know that your name ("DIMwit") is descriptive.
Also, why are you guys all into trying to diagnose psychological illnesses -- you have enough trouble figuring out how a two wire thermostat works without trying to take on something that actually requires schooling and a degree like psychiatry.
I picked my nick name to be humble.
You should be calling yourself Einstein to keep things equal.
DIMwit
writes:

Doesn't take much to feel like an Einstein in this group of losers, rednecks, and incompetents...
well, we all have fun whether or not we need or want to look stupid. You NEED to impress everybody with how smart you (think) you are. You come across as a pretentious, arrogant, smug prig.
I am quite successful, yet I feel comfortable seeming stupid. Remember, it is better to be quiet and appear to be a fool than open your mouth and prove it.
Glad you feel you are so smart. LMAO
By the way, you are not the same guy as Stuart, the moron who wanted to run a 220 volt motor on 115 V last Summer and argued incessantly with everybody here when he was advised not to? Same modus operandi. He asked an innocent question, got honest opinions but did not like them, and started a tirade just like yours.
I kind of hoped he killed himself and his family (not really), but now, you are his Phoenix! the Phoenix in (near) Reston, VA.
Dim
writes:

DIMwit posted for all of us...

I got the goods on this fundie idiot last year. His first name is Jeffy and I'm not gonna bother to look up his last name - although I still got his file - he's a mental case.

Is the house 12 years old, or did you buy it from someone else that was smart enough to hide the problem 12 years ago? If you bought it new, and you had the problem the first year, you should have addressed it then. Guessing what you think the problem is or isn't won't help.
I'm pretty sure that your "duct professional" gave you some other advice along with "I'd have to be clever..." as to how to eliminate the problem. It probably didn't involve continuing to use what's in the slab, and it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear pricewise, and aggravation-wise. You are near Memphis, Correct? Find out what the water table level is in your area, and that will be your answer as to where the water is coming from.
Wanna see something really cool? Take a sample of the water in the duct and send it out to have it cultured. (Water testing lab, medical lab, etc.) You will be surprised what's in that water that will grow, and that doesn't even begin to address mold or algae. You've got dead (and alive) bugs, and other critters in that water. Ever seen a mouse or bug in the house? They're in there. Everything in there is being aerosolized, and evenly distributed around your house.
Look on the bright side: You don't need a separate humidifier!
Also, replace the thermostat. That will fix the water problem. The more expensive, the more effective!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

suppose for a moment you had hydronic piping in the slab or domestic water lines in the slab that were leaking. you would waste no time whatsoever saw cutting the slab to access the problem. if you want a permanant, long term solution, cut the slab, install pvc coated metal ducting and be done with it. Get a written warrantee from the installing contractor, then install the most expensive granite or marble flooring on the new slab.
At this point, you can
1) Stop the water coming in 2) Pump out the water once it gets in 3) Redo the ducts so they are waterproof.
The sump pump through the hole in the slab sounded interesting. 500 galons!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

James wrote:

Personally, I believe that the mold threat is so great in slab ducts, used for airconditioning, that perhaps there should be a code preventing their use. - udarrell
--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sump+pump+installation&btnG=Google+Sear ch
Be sure to excavate deep enough for the sump well.....as definately it needs to be at a lower elevation than your duct floor.

Just a guess - perhaps the technology used to retrofit sewer drains without trenching, by lining them with a waterproof coating, could be used for your ducts. Call some local plumbing contractors.