Insulate exisiting ducts embedded in concrete slab

Recently I replaced my wood-burning heater with a split-system heat pump with a variable speed blower. Formerly the airflow direction was UP and through ducts in the attic. With the new system I had the contactor reverse the airflow, so that it's now DOWN and through ducts that were formerly used for return air. These ducts are embedded I the concrete slab. Problem: the air temperature exiting the new supply resisters is never warm enough, even when the auxiliary heater (electric resistance) is running. I fear that the concrete is absorbing too much heat. In fact, there are places in the house where the floor is noticeably warmer than most. Does his sound correct? If so, is there an insulation product that I can install in the ducts (round PVC)?

Reply to
auctoron

jamesgangnc

Im not sure who should get the moron of the year award. You or your contractor? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

lucky for you, there IS a solution to your problem. Its not inexpensive, but like I say, there is a solution. Actually you have several choices to chose from. At least 3 solutions come to mind.

How many $$ is in your budget?

Reply to
gofish

New info: The contractor had not completed the job. It turns out that the old return (now supply) ducts had NO plenum. The blower was blowing all my hot air into a very large undefined space below the fireplace and heating massive amounts of concrete blocks, heavy-gage steel, and stone before entering the ducts. And there were many leaks. Once he added a plenum and sealed off all the leaks, the situation is much better, but not great in all areas of the house.

My decision to insulate some of the ducts will depend on the cost to do it. Can you give me any idea of the costs?

you, there IS a solution to your problem. Its not

Reply to
auctoron

auctoron posted for all of us...

How much in assets do you have? You'll need ALL of it because I'm not about to start doing crap jobs.

Reply to
Tekkie®