Trane Heat Pump - Confirm my fears?

Thanks, Bubba. I agree with your opinion that a good vacuum can greatly increase compressor life. I have worked with commercial R22 chillers in the 60's and have worked with automotive R12/R134 systems quite a bit. I have my automotive papers to handle the refrigerants and equipment available if needed. I do not trust my welding and brazing ability enough to guarantee against leakage and with a heart problem would have physical problems to do the labor part. Just for the info of yourself and others that have replied, I greatly appreciate your comments. 10 years ago, I would have tackled this in a second but, because of my physical limitations, I do not desire to do the compressor or unit replacement myself unless I am unable to come up with a competent tech. I am just trying to be sure I am not looking at a $10 solution to a 2 bit problem. If I need the $10 solution, I will simply take take my medicine.

Regards Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

From what I'm reading, the compressor shows infinity ohms between the

220 volt connections on the compressor (with the wires pulled off). That's a very, very clear indication the compressor is burnt out.

Time to consider replacement compressor, or replacement outdoor unit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've worked on an assortment of AC equipment, but I have no experience with heat pumps or with Trane brand.

That said, it sure as heck sounds like your compressor is burnt out.

If you want to test the capacitor, isolate it (pull the wires off). Discharge it (cross the terminals with a screw driver). Use the farads scale on the Fluke, which should be indicated with a symbol that looks a bit like this --|(-- and the screen should read a number of uF. Probably about 30 to 40 uf in your capacitor.

However, t his is clutching straws. My sense is your compressor is burnt out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Where are you? I'm in western end of New York State.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You need EPA 608 Type II certification to work on a high pressure device like a heat pump. Even connecting the guages is considered opening up the system.

Your "automotive papers" (assuming it's EPA 609) is limited the motor vehicles only.

If you connect your guages keep a low profile because there's a finders fee for EPA violations.

Reply to
henny

west GA near AL.

Reply to
lugnut

Infinity is the correct reading. The only reading I can find on the compressor disconnected is ground to case which indicates a good solid ground. I used the info from Jake this afternoon to check the caps. It appears they are OK. I think I have read enough and gotten enough info here to go ahead and shop for getting the unit replaced. If I have only the compressor replaced and the reversing valve was the culprit, I'll be right back in the same boat shortly. I did get a callback this afternoon from the owner of the original installer indicating he would like a shot at resolving the problem and may be able to get Trane or his supplier to cut us a bit of slack and help with repair or replacement since his people had been at the complaint before and since the warranty expired and his records indicate they had already contacted Trane months ago when they first serviced it about this problem. He still swears it should be good for many more years than what it appears I got out of it. I guess I'll hear something this week if that is the case. I think he may be in the best position to help if he is willing.

Again, I greatly appreciate the help from everyone who has responded. I was simply taking a shot at there being something I may have missed.

Regards Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Neat. That's only a couple hours drive from where I will be in TN. Plan to take a vacation probably late January.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We sometime hav weather good enough for you to thaw in late January. Hope you enjoy it. I spent a couple of January trips in Syracuse and Schenectady, NY a few years back. This southern boy damn near froze to death.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut