Sunbeam water dispenser leak

I asked this in home.repair, maybe I'll have some luck here. TIA.
I have a Sunbeam hot / cold water dispenser. It is the type that has a 5 gallon water bottle on top. The water leaked out yesterday. Nice mess to come home to. I took it apart and found a hose had split. The hose is connected to a 3/16 metal tube, top and bottom. The top is connected near the top of the metal reservoir and the bottom metal tube I'm not sure where it goes. I figured I could just go purchase a new hose but about 2 inches down, there is a plastic piece in the hose. What purpose does this 1/4 inch x 7 inch hose serve? Any idea what the plastic part in the hose is? (No web access, at work, can't look at Sunbeam)
Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
Dear Tia, That's a bit off topic for hvac?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Really? Not the same principals? Hot/Cold? Where better?
Add pictures here
✖
Thomas wrote:

Heh! Heh! Water problems are a bit over our heads. Suggest you go to the manufacturers Web page and download the Repair/maintenance manual. Perhaps there is an appliance repair company in your area also. Some of that could be back flow preventers to keep the supply water from becoming contaminated..Which could be a health risk. Seek knowledgeable help.
Add pictures here
✖

Speak for yourself. Some of us are mechanical contractors and know EVERYTHING.
Add pictures here
✖
HVAC wrote:

Are you standing in for Stormy today?

Add pictures here
✖
I'm not sure what's a better group. But, this is neither building heating, nor building AC.
Principle: Guiding direction or force Principal: Leader of a school
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thank you for the spell check.
Add pictures here
✖

don't know shit about hvac either.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:25:55 -0500, The King

    Or a check valve ?
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 19:40:19 -0500, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Yup could be.
Add pictures here
✖
From what I can tell, the plastic in the tube is some type of reducer. I did not cut it out yet but it appears to have a hole approx 1/32 inch in the middle. I checked a few online sites and Sunbeam no longer manufactures coolers. The parts people at several sites were of no help. Thanks all for trying. I'm going to buy some tubing and hope for the best. No big loss either way.
Add pictures here
✖
Thomas wrote:

If it flows too fast, get an Intervenous feeding tube clamp from medical supply store. Adjust as needed.
Add pictures here
✖

Stormy know about orifices ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
---
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:15:24 -0500, "Real Pisser"

    Shut your mouth.
    Before Stormy sees it.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
✖
✖
Not that it really matters...But I broke it. Pulling and tugging, (seems on-topic at this point) I now have several other leaks than the original which now is fixed. I tried and failed miserably. Off to the big box place.
Add pictures here
✖

    Sounds like you need the Big Bucket place.