Sting Team exposes a/c Techs ripping off consumers .

Page 5 of 5
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:12:15 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

OK you got me there. I just changed the oxygen sensor on my truck...
But you probably don't troubleshoot to the component level. I did manage to find a good board layout for my AC - variable speed three phase drive, that might get me to the point where I could replace some of the major heavy switching semiconductors, but could find no schematic or "theory of operation."
Manufacturers don't seem to care about providing detailed technical manuals (at least for mini-splits). With the high reliability and use of surface mount parts, the need for repair diminishes and the difficulty increases.
If you have to replace the controller IC, assuming you have the physical ability to de solder one, you still need the replacement part programmed for that device.
I learned electronics when they still taught vacuum toobes. I'm still employable but only because I can read, connect, and troubleshoot large complex multi-discipline industrial equipment - hardly the field I trained in.
On 7/12/2012 1:54 PM, default wrote:

Heck, multi-discipline is what I do and it's the reason I stay worn out. Energy management and IAQ systems are becoming more prevalent in commercial buildings and I get run ragged straightening the darn things out. O_o
TDD
Do you need a Dilbert buzz phrase generator? I mean, you charge more, if you're synchronizing the data interface input output processors, to facilitate greater operational efficiency.
Heck, multi-discipline is what I do and it's the reason I stay worn out. Energy management and IAQ systems are becoming more prevalent in commercial buildings and I get run ragged straightening the darn things out. O_o
TDD
<default> wrote:

I looked for my brothers thermostat on carrier website. Nothing old on that site useful. Were did I write the model down, maybe I can get advise.
I still works on tube if someone asks me too. Still got tubed tektronix scopes in use now.
Greg

Even though I can troubleshoot boards as well as desolder/replace indivual componants on the board, its not worth the time or the trouble to do so. Also consider that most often the boards and major board componants are propriatary. If you don't have anything better to do, knock yourself out. When I am runnin from can to can't, I just don't have time to screw around for an hour on a $50 board.
On 7/14/2012 8:00 AM, Steve wrote:

An industrial control system board from GE or Siemens circa 1970 is a hell of a lot easier to repair than a Trane furnace control board from last year's model. ^_^
TDD
I guess someone with a bit of ambition could take in old boards, redo the parts, and sell as used.
Even though I can troubleshoot boards as well as desolder/replace indivual componants on the board, its not worth the time or the trouble to do so. Also consider that most often the boards and major board componants are propriatary. If you don't have anything better to do, knock yourself out. When I am runnin from can to can't, I just don't have time to screw around for an hour on a $50 board.

You can do that if you want, but I will not install "used" parts...period. I warranty my repairs for 1 year. Cheap (made in china) parts and motors won't do.... Yes, I open the boxes in the supply house *before* I buy them.... If its made in china, I will go through boxes till I find what I need that isn't.
How did "someone" get change to "Stormin?" You had a busy day, Steve?

You can do that if you want, but I will not install "used" parts...period. I warranty my repairs for 1 year. Cheap (made in china) parts and motors won't do.... Yes, I open the boxes in the supply house *before* I buy them.... If its made in china, I will go through boxes till I find what I need that isn't.

Finished up an attic install today.... lost over 10lbs in 2 days.... it was brutal in that attic.
I sensed you'd been busy. Take two gallons of Gatorade, and call me in the morning.
I'm remembering one time I was on attic install in the summer. We had another contractor install a powered roof fan. I brought in the next day, a power cord I'd cut off an old appliance. Gave it to the boss, for temporary power to the attic fan. He looked at it, and then ran off to answer phone calls, and his scatter brain thing. I took the cord and some wire nuts to the attic. Ran some power off the tramp cord that was lighting the place, and turned the temp and humidity knobs till the fan came on. The temp dropped about 20 degrees, in a couple minutes. Boss came up to the attic, and noticed the change. Looked at my temp wiring job, and said that was a great idea.
Can you make your own attic cooler? Take a 5,000 BTU Walmart air conditioner, and make a transition, run the cold air up a dryer vent hose, with some kind of axial fan to push the air up? Since you do this kind of work, might make life more livable for you.
16 gal shop vac, to suck some of the hot air out of the ridge, and exhaust it out the back door?
I remember one time another man and I were installing AC in a house. We got hot in the cellar. With some temporary wiring, we ran the system with the plenum unconnected, and cooled the cellar so we could work.
Finished up an attic install today.... lost over 10lbs in 2 days.... it was brutal in that attic.

<snip>
If the board contains a 'computer program' it's very likely under copyright and they will play hell with the OEM claims.
Back when we were overhauling electronic distributors for several Japanese cars. Received a letter from their corp. attorneys about the abuse of copyright as we were replacing the processor/memory elements and had to clone the original program.
They offered to sell us a replacement part (at 3X the cost of a new unit) if we wanted to continue the overhauls.
Our attorney said we could win the case but 10 years down the road which was after the legal fees would have put the entire process in bankruptcy.
Found out later that someone had shipped the how to information on the entire process to the Chinese in an envelope with no return address.

I just wanted to know if the thermostat can be calibrated in degrees.
Greg
<default> wrote in message wrote:

<snip>
You bring up an interesting point. I too recently changed the O2 sensor in my van (PMI - it needed changing).
In the end the PMI didn't work. Took a lot of time and effort in diagnostics but it eventually came to light (not documented anywhere officially) but the vehicle manufacture changed the 02 sensor specification is mid production.
I was able to find this by a process of substitution due to the availability of similar vehicles, one on one side of the change and the other on the other side of the change.
Then and *only* them was I able to pin down the manufacture to 'admit' to the change. (Didn't hurt that the state's vehicle inspection folk took a *very* special interest in the failure to document/announce the change)
I've been out of the A/C business for decades (I gave away all my A/C related tools) but would expect that there are a number of similar circumstances where the on the ground service troop does not have and cannot gain access to mission critical information.
<default> wrote in message wrote:

I like my flat rate book.... the service call fee gets me there, a complete system assesment, and initial diagnosis. I *show* them what I found whenever possible, or take pics and show them the pics, then give them the cost of needed repairs, the customer signs the ticket to authorise the work *before* doing the work.

of the day that you had integrity and honesty. It may be tempting, but in the long run its going to catch up with you .
I read that text and while I believe there are contractors that will do such evilness.... I do believe most or all of that text is fiction to suck in the gullible. With the wild lawsuits bouncing around all over the nation... I am sure most contractors are being very careful in their billings. Hell, if we/they were all that corrupt and crooked, we would be running for public office under the Democratic National committee.