Sting Team exposes a/c Techs ripping off consumers .

Page 4 of 5
On 8/2/2012 9:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The point is to train apprentices and to make the customer familiar with your services. It is a good gimmick to enhance your advertising dollar with just a bit of cash payback. It also gives you the opportunity to do reconnaissance on aging equipment and to give you first shot at giving bids. A Magnetic card stuck to equipment will remind folks to call you when repairs etc are needed. Do keep in mind that it is rude to remove the cards of others.

SBA www.sba.gov has free classes in those subjects as well as a SCORE program (also free as it uses volunteers). I've been doing those for years and am no longer surprised at the number of otherwise intelligent people who have no clue about standard best practices for running a business.

Your still clueless... its no wonder you couldn't make it on your own and had to work for a union shop to stay employed.
On 7/20/2012 7:31 AM, Steve wrote:

I would bet that when John orders a new instal...This fellow is locked in.

ok smart guy, how much would your union shop have charged for the service call and capacitor?? and the labor to install it??
On 7/21/2012 8:33 AM, Steve wrote:

How the Hell would Mikey know? After all he was just one of their foot soldiers.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:43:13 -0500, The Daring Dufas

with the new inside unit but I will wait for cooler weather before I do that. Yes, these guys are good people. The last contractor I worked for on Residential charged a $75 service call. The Capacitor would be about the same.
On 7/20/2012 9:01 PM, John Rhosos wrote:

I have a acquaintance who's an American Standard dealer who does good work and charges $100.00 an hour. I do more commercial work since my friend GB passed away last year. He knew a lot of folks and got calls from all over for residential work. We were charging $65/hr for a service call and $50/hr per man on the job. It was just a two man operation with part timers for help so we were able to charge less than the bigger operations with much higher overhead and capital expenditures. ^_^
TDD
On 7/19/2012 9:27 PM, John Rhosos wrote:

Nice to know that one of the millions who do get great service...does sit down and comment publicly about it. And absolutely the bad apples should be eliminated.
On 7/18/2012 10:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You just live in the wrong place. Here, the folks offer you cold or hot drinks...Thank you for your work.. Some even offer alcoholic beverages... Never drink on the job! Your truck gets hung up on a snow drift..the closest farmer will light off his $480K John Deere and tow you to the nearest clear road.

Try showering regularly.. That might change the essence of things. ;-p

face=Verdana>...<BR>&gt;&gt; Stormin Mormon wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; dino-MITE! Hey, Rerun. Lets go down to the corner and get us a couple<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; malted?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; You're causing me flashes of Dragnet and Room 222 w/Karen Valentine...<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=
Steve wrote:

(Anyone) What do you think would be the response if I requested an HVAC company to not send out anyone who isn't licensed? Who knows, some of them might not even have one available...and in that case they probably just wouldn't show up.
It's not too difficult to imagine a licensed father (or other relative) handing down the business to a son... There are a lot of "angle shooters" out there and there is a lot of money on the table.
Bill
I wonder if any of the folks actually did fork out the $800 to $900. I've never done that, but I guess some folks whimper, and pull out the check book and pay.
Really astounding, I think. In a bad way.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48080346/ns/today-today_rossen_reports /
Please dont cheat consumers . Be an honest a/c tech and feel good at the end of the day that you had integrity and honesty. It may be tempting, but in the long run its going to catch up with you .
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:36:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

apprentice (1967-1972). A guy in my class told me that his employer told him to take a hammer and a long screwdriver and knock a hole in the exchanger and sell him a new furnace. I went to work for a large utility company (taking care of their own buildings, not their customers) and I found a pebble in almost all the shraders through all their buildings. One day I received a call that a compressor was bad in one of their buildings. When I came down off the ladder I was asked, "how long till we get it running again?" "About 30 minutes" was my answer. It wasn't the compressor it was the contactor. I had one in my truck.
I'm retired now and live in a community of 53 homes, all manufactured, most with heat pumps. All these homes were built in 05-06. I moved in here in 09. Over the next 2 years, by the end of summer, 2011, at least 8 heat pumps had been replaced. I can't speak for any of them, I am truly retired and don't want any work but I think I mentioned this before, I did look at one when I heard the lady was living there without it for almost a year. I checked the serial number and this Trane unit was built in 1998. So where was it until 2005 when this house was built? It was flat. I have no tools so she called someone who took a 5 minute look-see and said, "$7500. you need a new unit". Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. A unit that old even though it's R-22, I find it difficult to believe it can't be repaired. I also checked around there's still plenty of 22 available. In my 40 years I never did anything dishonest. It just isn't in me. I worked union most of that time and during the 80s, we were only working 20 hours a week. Company didn't want to let anyone go but would do a layoff on request. So we took turns on the calls hoping something would break. John
On 7/10/2012 7:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@rhosos.not wrote:

I was at a deposition a while back where a service company that had advertized a $69.95 Spring tuneup had one of their techs sabotage one of the AC units for the elderly mother of a friend of mine. Big mistake on their part. The company's tech shorted out the compressor and told my friend's mother she needed a new $7,995.00 system. I let my friend purchase the parts and I repaired it for him at no charge. The crooked service company decided to settle out of court. ^_^
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@rhosos.not wrote:

Of course they do! In high heat, it's close to life or death for some people--especially ones with medical issues. That doesn't mean they should be taken advantage of however, IMO. Others may disagree.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

of the day that you had integrity and honesty. It may be tempting, but in the long run its going to catch up with you .

There is always two sides of story. There are many bad crooky consumers as well. I just had our system upgraded in time for the heat wave. Tech. knew my back ground I know his technical competence, good two way communication and job was done well and passed city inspector's inspection w/o an issue. All around every one is happy.

of the day that you had integrity and honesty. It may be tempting, but in the long run its going to catch up with you .

There are bad clients.
In this case a monitored and recorded woman homeowner... who probably is just sitting there looking like the perfect pigeon, as these "investigative reports" go.
They got exactly what they expected to find, and that too should make one suspicious.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:43:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

the day that you had integrity and honesty. It may be tempting, but in the long run its going to catch up with you . No question about that.
I did some TV repair calls in the 60's, part time while going to school. We hated to get these calls where you drive out and have to charge the client for plugging the TV in to the receptacle.
In-shop repairs we charged for the part, list price from the book, then used a national guide to price the labor. You were allowed so many minutes (based on what the average troubleshooting time is nationally) and charge your labor rate.
The customers liked it because we'd bring out the book show them the times allowed for problems in specific types of circuits (an RF problem takes longer than a power supply problem, for instance) with a tiny allowance for soldered connections, removing and replacing screws, etc.. It was fair and they didn't come away with the idea that we charged them arbitrarily.
It shifted the burden of labor costs, hard to find problems and easy ones always paid the same labor rate depending on what circuit caused the problem.
But TV repair is a little different than auto or AC repairs. Most parts are inexpensive and easy to replace. What takes time training and experience is diagnosing problems; most of the time they aren't visible or obvious.
I think AC/R repairs also need a lot of diagnostic skill. I got a call yesterday, from a friend whose refrigerator warmed up. I went through three or four possible diagnosis, before I was sure.
The old days of "just add some freon" are long gone.