Replace Leaking Evaporator Coil or Install new more efficient system?

Rundown:
7 year old house. We plan to live in it for 5+ years
Rheem AC Unit - working fine. 10 SEER Rheem Furnace - working fine. Kind of loud. Rheem Coil(warranty is expired I think, its past 5 years) - Leaking, rusted more than 50% up the coil, moisture on the floor from coil. 10- SEER
Last year we had an HVAC company come out and refill our outdoor unit with refrigerant. This year come blazing summer, same thing happened, system wouldn't keep the temperature and tech came out again and searched for leak ($450), repaired 1 (of many probably) leak. System worked for about a month. It's August, even more hot and our system couldn't keep the temp again. Tech came out and said that it would be best to replace evaporator coil. Estimate was for $1300-$1400. I also got another quote from a company #2 , same price. 3rd quote was for $600-$800 for replacement.
I also had the first company give me a price for installing a new 14- seer outdoor unit (AC or HP) and new 14-seer evaporator coil. $4400 for AC+Coil, $5100 for HP+Coil. Company #2 gave similar quote for replacement.
I'm thinking it would be better to upgrade the system now, in case the 10-SEER unit outside has problems in the future and we would have to replace everything again and be down $600-$1400. Also, from what reading I've done, these 10-SEER rheem coils seem to leak, but could that be because of installers and not equipment?
Company #1 sells Trane. Company #2 sells York. Company #3 sells Rheem
So replace evaporator coil or install more efficient unit? Should I get a HP or AC unit? Should I replace furnace/air handler if I replace AC Unit and Coil?

I faced the same problem last season, and opted for a new R410a system. Refilling is not allowed where I live, unless the leaks are fixed. The original coil rotted out due to a bad install. The contractor folded his tent and moved to a different city.

All residential systems can be refilled without fixing the leak you dumbass. Why? because there is no residential system that holds 50# of refrigerant you asshat. Once again some moron homeowner proves he knows nothing. See this link genius.
http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/608/608fact.html#leaks
<What a maroon> wrote in message

from the link. the last sentance sez you do have to. Refrigerant Leaks Owners or operators of refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment with refrigerant charges greater than 50 pounds are required to repair leaks within 30 days when those leaks result in the loss of more than a certain percentage of the equipment's refrigerant charge over a year. For the commercial (e.g. grocery stores and warehouses) and industrial process refrigeration sectors, leaks must be repaired within 30 days when the equipment leaks at a rate that would release 35 percent or more of the charge over a year. For all other sectors, including comfort cooling (such as building chillers), leaks must be repaired when the appliance leaks at a rate that would release 15 percent or more of the charge over a year.

It's nice that you can quote text... now try and comprehend that it doesn't pertain to most residential HVAC systems. (I say *most* as most people don't live in 1 million+ mansions)
What a maroon wrote:

Education is expensive, why are you giving it away for free? At least charge a service call fee. You start giving away stuff for free and every deadbeat on usenet will invade this NG.

Too late! The skylights' been busted for several years now. Every once in a while I (or someone else) gets up there and puts a few more nails in it but some of the worst deadbeat homemoaners seem to still slither their way in to see if they can grab the coveted Darwin Award. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

A bit of Turpentine under their tail feathers might cure that problem.
What a maroon wrote in

Refilling is not allowed where I live, which is Ontario, Canada.
Different laws here.
TheHack wrote:

And no one to enforce them.

TheHack wrote:

Are you referring to a bad install on your R410A system or the one that required replacing? Which contractor bailed out? The original one or the one last year? I need to refer the bad one to a couple of my bad accounts.

10-
the
system.
The original system was installed by "Golden Mechanical", they bailed.
The R410A system has had 1 fan replaced under warranty. I was told by the service tech that the fan was wired wrong at the factory.