replace hvac system question

I am considering aTrane XL19i system to replace my old Carrier system. I have a 7/8" lineset that is about 20 feet long. Is that adequate for an XL19i. I do not want to lose efficiency due to a lineset that is too small

Thanks from Round Rock, TX

Reply to
WSZsr

I wonder why Trane ships the 4 & 5 ton 19i models with 1-1/8" suction ports. if 7/8 supposedly is "good enough" ??

If you're smart, you'll put in the 1-1/8.

Reply to
gofish

My impression of Trane, is that they use specialize parts, to make it hard for other guys to do the service or installs. I'd be tempted go with Rheem, Rudd, York, Goodman, or some other brand.

How many tons is the system you need? And how large is the liquid line? 20 feet isn't all that long a lineset.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You would want to stick to the manufacturers specs here, the size of the suction line changes due to different types of refrigerant moving at different velocities using a suction line size smaller than the recommended one will compromise the efficiency and the life cycle of the unit. Refrigerant needs to travel at a speed that is optimum to the system, in order to deliver the full cooling effect and also return oil to the mechanical components in the system, the velocity difference through a 7/8 pipe as compared to 1/18 pipe at the same nominal tonnage is very large, and unacceptable.

Thanks Fat Eddy

Fat Eddy

Reply to
WSZsr

5 tons

3/8"

Reply to
WSZsr

Thanks.

Reply to
WSZsr

1-1/8" is good but why stop there? Make that system really purr. Install 2-1/2" piping and a 3/4" liquid line. That should really be a killer system. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

Imagine the RLA on that..LOL

Reply to
aka-SBM

Opps...my bad..imagine the amp draw drop on that sucker.....lol I dunno if id wanna charge it tho...

Reply to
aka-SBM

heh...... I DO happen to have such a split system......actually its got a 2-3/8 suction and 1-1/8 liquid line. Its up for maint this month, I'll get back to ya what the RLA is........had to replace the

200 amp disconnect last year........
Reply to
gofish

I had one like that too. Trane 50 ton 460v 3Ph on a school rooftop. My GAWD that thing could suck down 30lb jugs of freon like it was a sip of water. We would usually add 90 to 120lb every late spring. Hold on now, dont get ahead of me. YES, we did leak checks and leak repairs all the time. This ol granny of a machine could leak anywhere, anytime. The "Hot-Deck" piston actuators, any bolt/gasket/plate you like on the compressor, the liquid line shell driers, sight glasses, expansion valves, headers on the condenser, etc, etc, etc. We finally lost the account when the whole school system went with a national firm. I was never happier. Never to have to carry 4 full jugs of refrigerant up and down long ladders. :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Dunno if it matters, but a little hint I got years back doing condos in Palm Springs.. Tie yer jugs to a rope, carry the rope up with you and when you get to the top...start pullin. Much easier than trying to do a one man balance act.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Some way to run some tubing down into the building, and put a schrader valve on the first floor. So you could wheel in your jug of juice, hook it up, and come back in a couple hours.

Yep, thirty pounders can really wear you out to get them up a ladder. Even roping it up is still a heck of a lot of work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon