really quiet central AC/dehumidifier?

Page 3 of 4

Which manufacturers?
http://OakRoadSystems.com

Pick one.... most all of the manufacturers have them. No, I am not gonna do your homework for you.
So *would* a whole house dehumidifier heat up the place a lot? Any rough guess about how much - say to reduce humidity from 70% to 45%?
thanks Laura

let me get out my crystal ball.....nope too cloudy, you need to call a local tech that can *SEE* what you got and can assess your needs
Noon-Air writes: I wrote:

That's what I don't understand! What if it's too cold to run the AC, yet warm enough so the heater isn't drying the air much? Say it's 60F, and the humidity without any AC is 70%. I would want to heat at that temperature, not cooling! If you run the AC, won't it have to be cooling things down to 55F?
I looked at an HVAC forum and there were a lot of people who said their AC wasn't dehumidifying very much. I suppose you'd tell me that they don't have systems that are optimized for dehumidifying. But I still don't understand, simply, what about when it's cold enough you'd want to use the *heat*, AND it's damp?
Laura

If you use a heat pump with the appropriate controls, you won't have a problem. As to the hows and wherefores, may I recommend that you take a couple of physics courses.... thermodynamics comes to mind, then attend the local ASHRAE training, and any of the equipment manufacturers training that you can get.

Thats why I am talking about using a high efficiency heat pump with back up strips and the correct controls. It will use the A/C to remove the humidity, and the strips to keep it from blowing snowballs. I would highly recommend a 2 stage system such as the Rheem RPRL- JEZ Prestige series heat pump with RHPL series air handler and Honeywell TH8321U1006 control with built in humidistat.
Now please call your fav local *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician. You local tech can design a system specifically for your home, that will do what you want it to.

With the questions she's asking, I wouldn't count on it... What if, she paints the windows black so the sunlight doesn't shine in? Or what if, she has dirt hauled in to cover half the walls? Or what if...

or what if she had some thing other than a liberal arts degree?? or was a <GASP> republican??

Now you're just being silly.
I *took* a thermodynamics course in college, as it happens and I can tell you that no home heating/cooling devices were mentioned, much less analyzed in enough detail to answer the PP's questions. Heck, *humidity* wasn't mentioned. I suspect most thermodynamics courses would be the same.
If you want to help, provide information, not red herrings.
http://OakRoadSystems.com

Ok... then YOU answer all her questions.

If you want help, why not call someone in your area?
KJPRO wrote:

Because that might have a cost compenent attached to it.
BTW: Noon-Air, are you charging $$$ for estimates on system installations or replacements yet?
Most auto body shops do, and you have to go to them.
--
Zyp

Estimates are what I tell them over the phone for free. If they want a written quote, then thats gonna cost them.

Noon-Air wrote:

We genrally won't give a quote over the phone [unless we're famillar with the job - as in a regular customer].
But damn, the price of fuel, the two hours to go out and see what it is they have, and what it is they want to do, and then write it is just getting out of control.
--
Zyp

The estimate they get over the phone is "We have replacement systems from $4,500 and up". A quote is what I write for them that includes a basic "whole house" load/loss calc, Specific model numbers of the equipment, the ARI certificate, GAMA cert if applicable, and has a fixed price for 30 days. Thats not free.

Noon-Air wrote:

Is your local competition doing the same thing?
--
Zyp

Don't care... they can lose money if they want.

That's why charging for a quote makes sense... it gets rid of the price shoppers.

It also makes sense that the quote fee is non-refundable, but can be applied to the purchase of a new system from my company.

Quote FEE, If you had so much business you wouldnt be posting here, In Chicago we are not ripped off by these charges, now if its for a load calc, ok. You need to open althvac up and keep it up.