really quiet central AC/dehumidifier?

Page 2 of 4

Limited... just like your mental capacity. VERY limited indeed!!!!
"Stormin Mormon :)"
I need to reduce the humidity for allergy reasons, not just for comfort. So it has to be at least 50% or below, maybe 40%, dust mites die with 40% humidity. And I need to be able to reduce the humidity when it's cool; yesterday it was 67F and 72% RH indoors :(
So I'm not sure if there are central AC units that can do this, to be energy efficient they would have to have an option to either direct inside air or outside air over the condenser. I could run a central AC with a very low temperature threshold and run the heater at the same time, but that would be wasteful.
I do have forced air gas heat, and it's good to know that the noisy part of an AC can be outside, and it can use the blower in my furnace.
I'm not sure though whether I have to have a separate whole-house dehumidifier also.
It would probably be too hot to have JUST a whole-house dehumidifier. It doesn't get horribly hot in here without AC or dehumidifier - I got the roof ventilated and that helped to cool things down. But it is humid here in the summer and if I were dehumidifying from 70% to 40% I suspect a whole house dehumidifier would be making the heat inside a lot worse.
Laura

Get somebody who knows what they are doing to correct the refrigerant charge in your cooling system, and do the calculations to insure that the system is not oversized for your home. As far as the dust mites, mold and mildew control, and to promote a healthy home, read the stuff written by Lew Herriman on humidity control and mold avoidance.

A correctly sized, and installed cooling system will provide all the humidity control you need without having to run at rediculously low temps. The symptoms your discribing are telling me that you system is probably oversized and not charged correctly... probably grossly overcharged.

The new systems are so quiet that most folks refrigerators make more noise than their refrigerators do.

Not with a correctly sized and properly installed cooling system.

I am in rural south Mississippi, and humidity is a real, year round issue. Currently the ODT here is 90 with a heat index of 104
A *competent* HVAC tech would listen to the customer, and know tiny details like.... the original poster doesn't have an AC system. How old are you, Noon? And you been working retail for how long?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The OP isn't Steve's client... or likely anyone else's here. At least Steve knows how to diagnose equipment correctly and how to correctly repair it in a timely manner. I don't care how polite you are, you'll never be a technician that I would want anywhere near my unit! You're a clueless twit that will never know anything but, how to post dibble and rant about Mormons.
Noon-Air writes:

So on damp cool days - say it's 60F and humid - a regular central AC could be used in a mode where it both heats the house and dehumidifies?
Laura

Yes if the system is sized and set up correctly with the right controls on it. For those temps tho, a heat pump would be better suited than a gas furnace.
I've heard of that kind of thing. The AC to draw water out of the air, and the furnace to maintain temp. Seems wasteful to me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
(Graven Water) wrote:

GE makes very quiet stuff. I had one of those heat pump under window unit in a room in Vegas. You could NOT hear the compressor come on. My Goodman 2.5 ton works like a charm on my 1K sq. foot house with basement. The variable speed blower fan is a MUST. My compressor is quiet but they also make a quieter one with more insulation around the compressor.

it.
That's what I don't understand. With the right controls, you can set the central AC so it isn't cooling, but rather heating & dehumidifying the air? How does that work? The condenser is outside, and somehow you run the inside air over it? Or you have a heat exchanger? Or you just run the gas furnace as well as the AC?
with what controls? You would have to have a humidistat, certainly.
I've seen ads for whole house dehumidifiers online that say they're supposed to work with central AC, you use the dehumidifier when AC would make the house too cold. So that's why I'm puzzled.
I don't have any kind of AC or dehumidifier now.
thanks Laura
First, please learn how to use usenet. Second, why not do some research, so you can answer some of your completely ridiculous questions.
So, maybe Noon wasn't even close when he said your central AC is over sized, and probably way over charged?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What's your point Clueless?????
On Jun 24, 9:23am, snipped-for-privacy@cyberspace.org (Graven Water) wrote:

When an AC runs it cools and dehumidifys, VSDC motors that can be set at very low speed dehumidify 50% more than regular AC with AC motors at the lowest speed, Carrier , Bryant and maybe Lennox offer this option, but get the 10 yr warranty. To dehumidify most you need a load calculation done and you dont want to oversize the AC, oversize it and it runs and cools but wont run long enough to remove humidity, its common for lazy installers to oversize units as they make more money and never have a complaint that customers are not cool, but they are left humid. Best is an AC that runs 100% on the hottest day. Maybe 2 speed condensors will do even better. Space Pack removes moisture first and more than regular AC except for maybe VSDC motors. You can also run a small dehumidifier all the time as they produse heat which the AC can offset for continual low humidity. I think some VSDC units you can get a humidistat control, Look at Carrier , Lennoxs best and space pack, but if you have ductwork now forget spacepack
(Graven Water) wrote:

As does every other HVAC manufacture that makes equipment these days...

I dont think so, as of I few years ago I know so. I bet only a few offer the real low speed and watt option of Direct Current motors and controls. Im talking about blowers that can run using only near 90-100 watts for real low speed, vs the near-400 watts that are standard on Alternating Current motors. These units do remove 50% more moisture at very low speed.
(Graven Water) wrote:

I dont think so, as of I few years ago I know so. I bet only a few offer the real low speed and watt option of Direct Current motors and controls. Im talking about blowers that can run using only near 90-100 watts for real low speed, vs the near-400 watts that are standard on Alternating Current motors. These units do remove 50% more moisture at very low speed.
Ummm.... what do you think ECM motors are?? If you care to check previous posts, the Rheem(and others) 75,000btu gas furnace with the ECM blower motor is only 113 watts according to GAMA.

And Ford/Chevy is the only automotive manufacture to have a deisel engine. I suggest that you get a clue.
ransley writes:

Thanks, that is helpful.
I don't believe a central AC could keep the humidity below 50% in the spring and fall, without me having to run the AC and heater, or maybe the AC and dehumidifier, at the same time.
I don't like having to get separate AC and dehumidifier, but maybe that's the only option ...
I only have 1000 sq ft, about 660 sq ft upstairs, which gets hot, and half a floor of living space downstairs, which is partly buried in the ground and stays cool except on the hottest days.
Can I even get a central AC that is just barely adequate, for that small of a space?
Possibly I could get by with no AC just a whole house dehumidifier if I did things like installing a white reflective metal roof. The only thing I don't like about a metal roof is that it's harder to walk on than an asphalt shingle roof. A white metal roof might pay for itself in time if it meant I don't need AC.
Laura

It will if the system is correctly sized and properly installed.

THe *BEST* option is to have a correctly sized and properly sized comfort system installed. A 2 stage system will dehumidify as much as 30 times better than a standard system.

ok
Yes you can get one that will be correctly sized for your home

Call a local, *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to do a complete survey and analysis of your home to see what it actually needs. We can't *SEE* it through the computer screen. Discuss all of your options with the tech and tell him about the "energy saving" improvements you want to do. If you need to find a competent, local, tech, then go to the manufacturers web sites and they will have a page for locating a top contractor in your local area.