Queit here

Page 1 of 3
Gosh, it's been pretty quiet here.
Some of us are working.
Gosh, it's been pretty quiet here.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Okay, I was just checking to make sure you were all right. I'll go back to playing with my shovel and pail of drywall compound.
Bill

Fine, thanks. Up to my eye sockets in debt, thanks to NYS and the various liberals around the nation.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Okay, I was just checking to make sure you were all right. I'll go back to playing with my shovel and pail of drywall compound.
Bill

I can't help it if you don't charge enough....
Steve wrote:

Keep it up and I'll go door-to-door doing free capacitor checks with my new multi-meter. And I'll replace any that are performing at less than 90% of spec for $120, all parts and labor included. : )
Wow, you're expensive!

Keep it up and I'll go door-to-door doing free capacitor checks with my new multi-meter. And I'll replace any that are performing at less than 90% of spec for $120, all parts and labor included. : )
Stormin Mormon wrote:

LOL! : )

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I won't lower my rates! I charge fair pay for the work done.

Let me know how bankruptsy court goes for you... especially after you get the attention of the local inspector.
Steve wrote:

Is it against the law to replace capacitors for folks? I wouldn't claim to be a licensed A/C tech or that I can fix an A/C. I would just claim that I can replace a capacitor. I decided I should charge $20 to check them, but I would include that in the $120 if one needed to be replaced.
Steve wrote:

Steve, Where would be the rule which says I couldn't go door-to-door trying to make contracts with people in the manner I've suggested? I live in what is technically a rural area and the county level is the lowest governmental-level that might be concerned. It's largely an academic question, but you've got me curious about the answer. I've mentioned before that I had some interest in "handyman" work. This seems like it could be more practical and more lucrative than many of my other options! I worked in sales for several years.
Bill
Steve wrote:

Since you are replacing a part, you don't need to pull a permit. How is the "local inspector" (county?) involved in contracts I might make with neighbors?

You are operating a business, and that has several things that go along with that... check with your city, county, and state for the requirements of operating a business... oh, and don't forget the feds when it comes tax time... sole propriator tax rates run 28% - 30% just for federal. Check on licensing.. HVAC? electrical?... city, county state.....business, professional, etc., then there is sales tax... the state has to get their pound of flesh, liability insurance... if you work on a system, you own it. if their house burns, it won't matter how or why... your gonna get called on the carpet for it. There is a lot more to it than just running around with a meter and replacing capacitors. Now go do your homework and find out what your really getting into.
FWIW, I am in a rural area in south Mississippi. I live in the county seat... only 2200ppl. The closest "city" is 10 miles away.
Steve wrote:

I considered all of the above already.
Check on

That was sort of my question. Whether I needed HVAC licensing even though I make no claim about being an HVAC tech. Analogy: I could do oil changes on cars too, without being a licensed mechanic--are there laws to prevent me from doing so?
... city, county state.....business,

I'm learning. I think it's on-topic, and it's interesting to explore. Perhaps some unemployed people are reading along.

I'm enjoying being around while people are learning.
Steve wrote:

I considered all of the above already.
Check on

That was sort of my question. Whether I needed HVAC licensing even though I make no claim about being an HVAC tech. Analogy: I could do oil changes on cars too, without being a licensed mechanic--are there laws to prevent me from doing so?
... city, county state.....business,

I'm learning. I think it's on-topic, and it's interesting to explore. Perhaps some unemployed people are reading along.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't underestimate the value of Usenet and the Internet (either). I even gave cash-money to Wikipedia last year, just because. There is a satisfying social elelment to it all too! I am not however on any of ther social sites (Facebook, etc.)
Cheers, Bill
On 8/18/2012 9:23 PM, Bill wrote:

I see Facebook stock is down to $10, which is less then half of their IPO. Could it be that the world buyers have finally woke up to the fact that Facebook owns nothing tangible? The Dickhead that started Facebook hauled ass to Switzerland renouncing his American Citizenship.

PaxPerPoten wrote:

IPO price was $38. High of about $43 the first day. Opened today at $19.05. It's all time low is $18.75. There are still shareholders who cannot sell until toward the end of the year. After they do their selling, then perhaps you can get a fair price. Actually I don't think $10 is necessarily far off the mark (of what I might pay), and part of me still worries that it is pure gambling. I wouldn't like to get Zuck'ed! : )
Could it be that the world buyers have finally woke up to the fact

On 8/18/2012 2:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We and your customers are sincerely hoping that you are also learning!