Quartz Space Heater

Not sure that is 100% true. There is lots of waste heat, but the refrigeration system is expending energy pumping heat out of the refrigerated area, just so it can gradually be absorbed back from your heated home. At the end of the day, does all of the energy that the refrigerator uses really show up as waste heat in the room?

My head hurts.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

The problem is that electricity costs so much more per unit of energy than the alternatives that it can't be sold as an economic alternative. Electric heat is 100% efficient. It simply costs more.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

A minor correction to my diatribe, above: I meant to say that it doesn't cost a dime EXTRA to do all the other stuff. You're still heating your home with electricity. You're just using things other than the furnace to do it.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

But what's regular?

Fuel type... Gas, Oil, Electric, Kerosene, Waste Oil, Wood, Corn, Wood pellets???

What type of heat? Forced Air, Hydronic, Heat Pump (Geo or Air source), Radiant, Convection, etc???

Which is regular?

Regular is like saying NORMAL. What's normal?

Reply to
<kjpro

Of course it does. If the refrigerator is consuming an average of 500W it delivers an average of 500W. That&#39;s just basic physics.

There is a "cool" exception, but this was not included in the original question.

During the heating season take liquid tap water in a container, freeze it in the freezer, and throw the resultant ice out doors.

In addition to the power needed to run the refrigerator you will have extracted some of the heat in the water.

Cool huh!

Duane

Reply to
Duane C. Johnson

Of course it does. If the refrigerator is consuming an average of 500W it delivers an average of 500W. That&#39;s just basic physics.

There is a "cool" exception, but this was not included in the original question.

During the heating season take liquid tap water in a container, freeze it in the freezer, and throw the resultant ice out doors.

In addition to the power needed to run the refrigerator you will have extracted some of the heat in the water.

Cool huh!

Duane

Reply to
Duane C. Johnson

Normal is just the regular system. duh! ;-)

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

:-)

Reply to
<kjpro

sheesh, everybody knows Abby is Normal.

where were you?

Reply to
gofish

Then who&#39;s carnak? :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Yes.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

posted for all of us...

So many questions. So many answers. So little time...

Reply to
Tekkie®

posted for all of us...

The one that uses fiber? Like a previous post said.

Reply to
Tekkie®

It doesn&#39;t cost more in all areas of the world.

In FACT, a natural gas fired, forced air furnace cost more to run than straight electric heat last year.

Now just think of the savings they could have had with a heat pump!

Reply to
<kjpro

Consumed electric is consumed electric, no matter how you use it.

A watt is a watt, just as a BTU is a BTU...

Reply to
<kjpro

messagenews:518b1$45bc57a7$943f6c44$ snipped-for-privacy@STARBAND.NET...

That is correct, but it should be "a watt is a watt".

Reply to
<kjpro

The one I asked...

You better think again...

Nothing is being wasted. The energy is being transferred to the room no matter which poroduct you wish to use.

A watt is a watt... there is no getting around that.

Reply to
<kjpro

I just sent you an IM.

Reply to
<kjpro

True. I&#39;m speaking in conventional terms in the US. Obviously, YMMV.

Depends on where you live in the country. While my figgerin&#39; could be wrong, at around $0.08/kwh, (Chicago area), I calculated that natural gas would need to be in the ballpark of $2 per therm in order for electricity to be competitive.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

You&#39;re correct, and natural was up to over $2.50 a therm last winter.

So input that into a 80% furnace and we have trouble.

Reply to
<kjpro