Ouch Trane!

Have you ever had to replace that 1/2hp 115v 4 spd motor in a Trane 90% furnace yet? (The one with the "erector set" motor mount). WOW does Trane "spank" you for that GE motor. Its a 1375 RPM so thats where they "tag" you. Same price at the local motor repair shop. Absolutely ridiculous piece of engineering design work by Trane to put that specialty of a motor in a residential 80k 90% efficient furnace. Atta boy, Trane. Bubba

Yeah, and how many companies stock that 1375 RPM motor for no heats?
Bubba wrote:

How in the HELL do they get 1375? That thing is either 'slipping' like hell, has some kind of weirdo control on-board, or defies physics.
Jake

Its that Special (like Special Education) Electricity they have over by Bubba's house...
They have electricity at Bubba's house??????

50Hz
It would be rated for 1650 at 60Hz

Shhhh. Dont let the secret out. You're thinking too much like them. Do you work for Trane? :-) Bubba
I'm not impressed with Tranes or Am.Standards blowers period. For a couple of years we had the cages have the vanes get loose. I think its because they try to stretch out the fan to its limitations. I've seen the 17" furnace with what, a five ton blower on them... maybe 4 ton. That's asking a lot of a fan drive.
What is different now with their motor mounts? Is this true with Am Std too? If so, I may be switching to Rheem or Comfort Air, Zero failures over the years, but I hate their evaporators.
Oh, has anyone else had problems with trying to use other motors besides OEM's on these furnaces? I've had nothing but grief when we try it.
Bubba wrote:

you aint seen shit yet. their new 13 seer package units have a bizarre shaped plastic squirrel cage assembly. Quiet as all hell but.....

Fish, AmStd has those small package units and the fan looks like a science fiction picture! Is it as bad to get too as I suspect, or are you making reference to just the fan itself to work on? It looked like you had to dismantle the entire unit just to get too it.
I haven't seen a new Trane/AS package unit, but I've installed several air handlers with a funny looking grey plastic blower housing assy. Dunno if that is the same one you are talking about. One or two of them had what Trane calls "constant torque" motors-- looks like an ECM, but it is all one piece instead of having a separate module. Don't understand the logic behind it myself--looks like most of the expense of a VS with little of the benefits. Geoman: when you asked about OEM motors, were you talking about Rheem/Ruud? We only use the exact replacement motors on those (the ones that mount with the 4 metal things screwed onto the motor.) We have had a lot of complaints about noise on upflow units. The new motors are ball bearing so they do make more noise than the old sleeve bearing they are replacing. It seems to help a little to put a double thickness of foam tape between the blower housing and the motor brackets. Anyone else have noise complaint problems with these units, and any way to solve them? Larry

Turn them off?
I know, I know, always a smartass. :-)
wrote in message

Crank up the stereo...

wrote in message

What did you say???????

Larry, I have only put a few in with those motors on Rheems. My Mention of Rheems was in retrospect, many we put in years ago. But, I'm familiar with the motor your speaking of. However, we didn't have any noise issues probably because we try to insulate the plenum and if the furnace is close to living areas we insulate the first five to six feet of duct, which of course makes all the difference in the world for noise.
The new style fan that Fish is talking about though, I've only seen them in pictures, and to be honest, I've held back until I've heard some reports on them. Mark and I were stung with EC Motors with they first came out, 100% failure rate and the supplier told both Mark and I, and I QUOTE, "We haven't had any problems with these motors!" Went in the back room and they had a pile of them!!! Liars, just like Kentucky Troopers.
Rich

We stock universal (large H/D) belly band mounts to do aways with the "erector set" kit....but have you ever tried to purchase one from Trane or American-Standard.....??? OUCH Big Bucks and no Whammies

On 02 Feb 2007 03:57:33 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Wow, that was a good one Canuck. How many days did it take your mommy to think that one up for you? Bubba