OLD Rudd Furnace - Burner will not stay lit.

Rudd Model= UGAA-10EC, Serial #=TN3D104 M2779 3228 Electronic Ignition Furnace (Spark)

Problem: Originally, the pilot light worked but the main burners would not light. I cleaned the Flame Sensor tip with some light sand paper. Now, the main burners will light but they quickly shut off after about 10-30 secs. If I hold a long-stick candle lighter to the Flame sensor when the main burner lights I can get the sensor hot enought to keep the furnace going for a several minutes.

OK, so bad sensor and/or weak flame? Does the sensor need to be glowing red hot? The flame looks ok to me, but a Tech I called who is out of state said the gas company is putting something in the gas that is clogging up the furnaces. My problem just started last night. I'm thinking about removing the small gas line from the controller to the pilot-light point and clean it out from end to end. Next step replace the sensor (Automatic Pilot E1 Type

3098-136). I was also wondering if this has a gas filter I could change? The GAS controller has several numbers on it 7921 E11, also has Model 36c84, type 220, 24v 60hz, max pr 1/2 psi, filter cap 2cfh air.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Seriously... please call a qualified HVAC tech to come out, correctly diagnose and repair your furnace.

Messing around with a gas appliance is NOT for an individual that ISN'T properly trained to do so. (and don't try to tell me that you are qualified... I can tell by your post that you ARE NOT)

Reply to
<kjpro

Your welcome. Anytime. Replace everything, one at a time, starting with the thermostat first. When it works, you&#39;ve figured it out. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Here&#39;s the short and sweet of it.... that is a 100,000 natural gas furnace with a 2 ton, direct drive blower, and was manufactured in the 27th week of

1979...... that makes it 27 years old. They only build them to last 18 - 20 years with correct installation and proper maintenance. Its long past time to replace the furnace with a new one. There is a high probablility that the new furnace will pay for itself in just a couple of years in energy savings and keep you a lot more comfortable.

BTW, your furnace is shutting down on a safety, and screwing around with it, without finding out what the root cause of the problem is, and correcting it, could be potentially dangerous to you and your family.

Reply to
Noon-Air

It is very unlikely that the line to the pilot is clogged. There is not any gas filters. I&#39;ve never heard of the "something in the gas that is clogging up furnaces" story before. It could be the flame sensor or a number of other things. Without specifications and test equipment you will have to resort to replacing suspect items. That can get expensive pretty quickly and nothing electrical will be returnable. If you really want to go that route I imagine most people would guess the sensor as the next likely item. Your unit is well into the end of it&#39;s life expectancy. And as others pointed out it is a bit dangerous to mess around with gas appliances.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Your not so sure ...but then you go for it.

This WILL get expensive in just a little bit.

It could be quite a few things. It would be also be irresponsible to attempt an even close-to-proper diagnosis over Usenet.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

As Noon mentions, that&#39;s pretty old equipment. If you have the chance, replace the furnace with one of the new 90 percenters.

Flame sensors do go bad, so that&#39;s one item to replace. There&#39;s a couple other things you can do to help things along, but replacing the flame sensor is a good starts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"It could be quite a few things. It would also be irresponsible to attempt an even close-to-proper diagnosis over Usenet." ©

-zero

Reply to
-zero

"Jim" wrote

What I do is tape a road flare to the flamew sensor. It beats paying all that money to a pro to fix it right, right?

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

"Noon-Air" wrote

So does this mean you don&#39;t like my road flare solulution?

Respectfully, Bob

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

"When Flame Sensors Go Bad...A Mormon Perspective" Is your flame sensor staying out late... hanging out with the wrong crowd... smelling of the demon alcohol... refusing to go to church????? Send your cheque or money order to: Stormin Mormon Church of LDS (not LSD) Utah

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

LOL! So your clueless but you have psychic powers! Contact the Heroes show maybe they can work you in, the Psychic Tech with special on-line powers.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

OK, now I know HOW YOU WORK, I hope you never show up at my doorstep.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Finally a reply worth reading! Thank you! I know it&#39;s old, but I am not sure of the In-Service date. I have plans to replace it soon when I remodel the backroom addition. About 2-3 years ago I replaced the blower motor (due to bearing vibration), the parts shop look at the old motor and said Wow, I&#39;m surprised this old thing still ran.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Bob, stop hitting on the other Techs!

It&#39;s out of the bag Bob, we all know you like red-hot rods!

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thank you for your reply. I may have poorly worded the "something in the gas" story, the sensor was a bit frosted (white power/coating), that&#39;s what the tech mean&#39;t by something in the gas. I figured it out this morning, read me last post if you want to know what was wrong.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Practice your Posting Skills in alt.test.

Reply to
Jim

Thank you sir! I found the problem.....and fixed it..... I&#39;ll post it in my last post.

Have a great life!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Now Bob....... this is the wrong newsgroup for writing poetry!

Reply to
Jim

Hey BOOB, I bet you buy duct-tape by the case! I&#39;d borrow one of your road flares but I know where they have been!

Just curious......do you know any Pro&#39;s Boob?

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim