New Central A/C questions??

Page 3 of 6

Did you find any scum in the filter!!!! Pat I really wanted some of them pictures. And you gotta wait in line for proffesional help till I'm done getting mine!!
"Bob Pietrangelo" wrote:

Bob, I'll dig some up out of my archives for you. I love taking pictures of fubar installs, especially when I can email them to property management / ownership.
I can honestly say one picture I took almost a year ago paid off handsomly....$8400 worth.
On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:18:05 -0400, "Bob Pietrangelo"

Not a problem

3
No, the middle one but all 3 weren't far apart

Yes, But I wasn't a hawk watching every move they made

My guess is that since there wasn't an existing evaporator coil(we didn't have central air before this) they had to cut the bottom 1/3 of the plenum off. One worker left and went back to the shop for the new metal work to be fabricated. It took less than an hour. The longest time was spending trying to jockey the new metal work from where the cut was in the plenum to where it attaches onto the furnace.

I looked at what I could but at first glance its hard to see problems. Nearing 4PM another of their trucks with 3 man crew showed up. My basement furnace room is small and packed with workers. They left in a hurry.

It was after 5pm Friday and they're closed the weekend. Its 6AM monday morning now and I am waiting until 8AM to phone them as well as my city building department...maybe my family lawyer too

I'd rather not say at this time publicly

Yes but it wasn't item for item detailed. Basically said the a/c, metal work, permit, cleanup. Of course it had a few other options with prices depending on which specific a/c I wanted to go with. It did not specifically say it would have a liquid filter drier but the estimator told me it would and I said "Good because thats a question I wanted to ask you about". I know I should have had everything in writing but I guess since I am an honest person I hope others are too..but many times thats not the case.

No, the tonnage was based on the sq. footage of our house. The house is small, about 700' ducted living space. 1.5 tonnage ac was installed.

Asking them to do that and what they'll actually do are two different things. I'll try to get you some pics but right now this problem is taking up lots of my time. It might take me a week..depends on whats going on with this problem.

As a matter of fact, I've had knots in my stomach and no appetite since this mess. I am keeping a journal.

In hindsite I wish I would have never had this done.

Thank you for the offer.

I am hoping they will.

Yes, I mentioned I stopped payment on a check but what everyone seems to be missing is that I didn't say it was stopped for those 2 reasons. The 2 problems I was asking about I was attempting to obtain further information regarding my dilemma. I would never stop payment for those two problems. I've never stopped payment on any check my entire life.

How do I know who the techs are? The company who is screwing now are techs. Not all techs are worth a bucket of BS. I never said anything pissy or started sparring with anyone until I was verbally attacked. People started jumping to conclusions and calling me names and being a thief. Re-read the messages and tell me where I started getting pissy and rude prior to being flamed?? You won't find it. I don't hear you saying anything about other people being rude.

I can handle my own problems.

Then WHY are you here?
LMAO

Because I want to be. Any other questions fool? Why are you here? NO work? hahaha..come to jail with me, I'm a felon and GEOMAN BUSTED ME!! HAR HAR HAR!!

Never heard of lunch, breaks, days off, etc?
I guess you work 24/7/365 ?

I don't work fool. You do and YOU pay me! ;-) I think with you its a case of unskilled unemployment.

Since when is HVAC/R, Construction, Electrical, Plumbing, etc *unskilled employment* ?

Actually, here's something that you are definitely wrong about.... You were never verbally attacked. This is a newsgroup. We type, you read. While you may well have been hearing voices, those voices were not from anyone responding to your posts. More than likely it was just you reading the posts aloud, and not recognizing your own voice reading the facts presented. This sometimes happens in individuals who are delusional.

Bob Pietrangelo wrote:

    Bob: First let me compliment you (as an apparent professional HVAC person) for submitting constructive comments to a thread that has become a "Pissing contest." I am not a HVAC professional, just one of the dreaded "Homeowners." And as such, seek the advice and experiences of others in order to avoid the mistakes others have made. I have seen questions as simple as "Which manufacturer's systems do you recommend" being slammed by the so called "Pros." In fairness, NOT ALL responded that way, but too many have.
    When a person encounters a poor quality job, the common response in this news group is that they either took the low bid, or failed to watch how the installation was performed in order to assure a quality job. I submit that it should NOT be necessary for a customer to be looking over the shoulder of a person they hire in order to assure the job is done right. Such a comment by a pro, defending and rejecting any responsibility for the job, only reinforces the belief that many DO NOT perform quality work unless watched carefully. I know of no homeowner or business who sought a quote on a POOR quality job. The expectation when given the quote by the pro is that it will be a QUALITY one. It would seem to me that the burden is then that of the pro to quote accordingly.
    Most people who seek the skills of a professional to perform work, ask their friends and neighbors if they know someone who has done good work at a reasonable price. They then contact that company and have them review the project. As you well know, contractors of many trades often "Throw a price against the wall hoping it will stick." Price does NOT necessarily assure a customer that they will receive a quality job or service when they need it. It is the PRIDE the professional has that determines quality.
    I do not mean to pick on your reply, since as I said yours was one of the few who seemed sincerely wanting to help. Bluto could have, and should have, done some things differently. I am sure he realizes that. But at the same time a person hiring a professional regardless of his trade, should not be the primary one responsible for a poor job being done. If one has a surgeon operate on you and he screws up, is it your fault you were under anesthesia and not watching him do his work?? I think NOT.
    Thanks again for showing that some in your trade can make constructive suggestions and not feel you are giving away trade secrets. No one expects those posting in a news group to give away their services. A few constructive comments however can do a lot to change the view of customers toward many in the HVAC profession.

99% of the time when somebody has had a poor quality job done, its because they were shopping price only. They don't care about the quality of the equipment, or having it sized correctly, correct air distribution, or the professionalism of the installers. They just want the lowest price like we are Walmart or something then they rais hell about the entire trade being ripoffs. They forget the simple fact that the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. You never hear about the really great installations, and how comfortable folks are with a correctly sized and installed system. You never hear about having issues fixed like This bedroom has always been cold in the winter and hot in the summer and now its comfortable year round. You never hear about folks checking references, licenses, insurance certificates, and state tax certificates when getting a quote from a contractor. You only hear about shoddy work by unlicensed, uninsured hacks that throw stuff together as fast and as cheap as they can, so they can grab the money and run. A year later(maybe) they are out of business along with 19,000 other contractors because they didn't understand the business of running a business, didn't charge enough and went broke.

True to a point.... Its not a matter of throw a price upagainst the wall, its a matter of what does it cost to do a top quality installation, with a professionally trained technician and helpers salaries/benifits, plus the company's overhead, and still be able to make a small profit. Those of us who use flat rate pricing know what it costs for us to keep our doors open. Chances are that you will get what you pay for, likewise, your not going to get what you didn't pay for. If you use a smaller company that has been around for more than 5 years, your going to get a top quality job. If you use the biggest companies, you never know what kind of installer they are going to send that day. If you use the new kid on the block, you gotta ask yourself if he will be in business next year when you need service. True also that pride in your work is a big factor, but some big motivating factors for instilling pride in your people are salary, bonuses, benifits, continuing education, and training.

Bluto's problem was that he came in here whining about an install instead of calling the company that did the work and get the boss out there to fix it, and not the 19 year old flunky they sent out to be the installer that day. He didn't like what he got told, then got ugly about it as do *most* of the home owners that come in here. I have tried to reply to most that I consider to be legitimate via private e-mail only to have it bounce, or they didn't have a valid address to begin with.

Its not a matter of giving away trade "secrets", there are no secrets, its all training, education, and experience...same as any other vocation. Its kind of hard to make constructive comments when you get "My air conditioner doesn't work, whats wrong with it? How can I fix it?". thats like calling a mechanic and telling him your car doesn't run and him trying to diagnose it over the phone. Its pretty unrealistic to be able to tell exactly whats wrong with a system (sight unseen) then convey that to somebody who I have absolutely no idea what their skillset is or what tools they have available. To do so would result in some serious legal and litigation problems if the homeowner were injured or killed while trying to follow my instructions on how to fix his broken A/C. If you want to take this liability on, then by all means, do so.
While I am at it, the homeowners that come in here would be better serviced going to alt.home.repair. This NG is more like a bunch of contractors and techs standing around the supply house and BSing about whatever.

Whatta dick! So if everyone took the highest bid there would be no problems eh?

You're not a home owner? hah! You own this newsgroup eh Moonie? What a troll! My stopping payment on a check to crooked contractors like you(if you are one, from the sound of it you're the clean-up boy) INSURE's they'll be out!

Ah moonie, we'll go wherever we choose to in the newsgroups! If you don't like it then tooooooo baaaaaaaad sonnie boi.

There's a difference in the way an OP posts their original question.
This asshole didn't communicate that their was OTHER problems with this system. He stated TWO minor issues and jumped on the chance to tell us he had stopped payment on his check. With the information he gave, he received just what he deserved as replies. He's an asshole no matter how you cut it.
Maybe if he learns how to communicate like an adult he'd get the information/help he is seeking.

Did it say in my original message that I STOPPED PAYMENT BECAUSE OF THESE 2 PROBLEMS? Read it again dummy. Who can communicate like an adult whilst in the company of dummies like you asswipe?

It's funny how those two items were your main concern if this installation is as messed up as you say.
What a loser.

Its your fault you cannot comprehend what you read dummy.

I thought you were leaving.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (home)

He's to stupid to climb the rope to exit throught the skylight which he fell.

He mentions condensation on his plenum, THEN after being shown he's a liar he makes up Carbon Monoxide stories!
Now, which concern would an intelligent poster mention?
He's a liar, troll and probably a fag all rolled into one. Its evident he doesn't have a woman, Been in the military so long they gave him a section 8 to get rid of him

Two minor concerns and you stopped payment on your check... what an asshole!