New Central Vacuum System

I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

Reply to
L M

BoborAnn

Reply to
Art Todesco

The device you describe is called the automatic dustpan. I have one and it gets used every day here is a link

BoborAnn

I put central dustpan into google and a bunch of links came up. Seems it is called a central dustpan.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I have a Nutone that has been installed since 1978 and have not had one problem with it since. Well, wait.......I DID have a clog when my son decided to vacuum up some French toast one time. Other than that, no problems.

I was at a cistomer's house the other day and she had an option I want to install wjhen I redo my kitchen. It was mounted on the kickplate of her kitchen sink. She called it a "central dustpan". Basically you can sweep the floor with a broom and then step on a small lever to open a door (which kicks the central vac on) and you sweep it into the opening. I just thought that would be really handy to have for cleaning up in the kitchen without having to drag the hose out.

Anyone know what the real name of the accessory is?

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I have a Nutone dual motor tank. It works well. They used to guarantee the motors for life but they stopped that a few years ago. That was one reason to use Nutone right there. It has a bag and there is no decrease in suction as the bag fills. In fact it is so powerful no matter how full the bag is that it is important to check the bag every few months so you don't overfill it. It has a secondary filter to protect the motor in case you burst the bag which happened to me when I used 3rd party bags. Nutone bags are superior and that is all I buy now.

As far as the power head, I've tried several. I started off with a Nutone that was obviously built by Eureka. It was narrow and noisy. I then bought an expensive Stealth from Italy. It was quiet and well engineered but the brushes weren't long enuf for our low nap carpet and after using it for several years we decided it really wasn't doing a good job. Consumer Reports rated Stealth and said it was good. We sold that head on ebay and bought a Hoover Windtunnel head. It is basically the same head used on highly rated windtunnel cannister vaccuums. When Consumer Reports rated central vacs they failed to test that head and instead tested cheaper Hoover powerheads. However whenever they test regular cannister vaccuums the windtunnel heads are top rated. We are extremely happy with it. It is not as elegantly designed or as quiet as the Stealth but it does a great job.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Are there no longer models that exhaust to the outside?

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

While we are on the subject, is it possible to have the vacuum pump located above the floor you want to install the outlets? For example, vacuum in attic with vacuum receptacles on second floor.

Reply to
FDR

It works on suction so it should not be a problem but remember that it has to be emptied regularly and so it needs to be assessible. Plus it might give off some dust. A garage is ideal.

Reply to
Art

Most of the new installs I have seen still exhaust outdoors. They also have "mufflers" that are installed that make them even quieter....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I've tried mine with and without a muffler. Mufflers just take the edge off the noise. It is still loud in my garage. Any can exhaust to the outside if you want.

Reply to
Art

Vac-Pan

Reply to
Rudy

"Art" wrote

Yeah. I had never heard of a muffler for them and was at a customer's house when I saw my first one. He actually had an extra one (the intsaller left it behind) so I brought it hom and put it on mine. Couldn't tell much of a difference, really.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Reply to
Art Todesco