Mini-split with auxiliary heat

I'm about halfway through an addition project on my house (new master bedroom) and extending the existing ductwork is just not a good option. I'm strongly leaning toward installing a mini-split system to handle the heating and cooling for this new room.
The addition is about 350 square feet and is on the second floor (the space below and through one long ajoining wall is heated and cooled by my current forced air system). I live in central lower Michigan, so it will be cold this winter for sure - probably averaging low to mid 30's in January and February and can easily hit zero or less on cold nights.
Forgive the lack of question marks below - my keyboard is messed up and that key doesn't work...
Am I correct in assuming that a "normal" mini-split with no auxiliary electric heating is a bad choice for me. I've seen some decent looking mini-split deals on Ebay, but none that I've seen specifically mention auxiliary or back-up heat. I could probably install a simple baseboard heater as a back-up (wife would just love the extra ugliness, I'm sure) - would the mini-split sit there and run incessantly trying to generate heat when the exterior unit is too cold to function, or do these units shut themselves down when the outside ambient temp is too cold to work.
Anyone know where to buy a decent mini-split with aux heat online. I've talked to some local hvac guys, but all look at me like a man from the moon when I mention mini-splits (this is forced air, woodstove, or corn burner territory).
On 11 Nov 2006 20:00:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

yes, no, no, yes, maybe, I don't care, of course they did, no.
<Al Moran> wrote in message wrote:

Mitsi do mini splits with back up heaters. You need to supply both indoor and outdoor units with power
http://www.lumasairinc.com/Mini_Split_Systems.asp
be careful of ebay as these tend to be older stock which is far less efficient..
Cheers
Richard
r.bartlett wrote:

, I don't care, of course they did, no.

Holy crap, a helpful response! Thanks, Richard.
On 11 Nov 2006 20:00:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Lets just break this post down bit by bit and maybe you will see the light. First: You are half way through your addition project before even thinking about one of the most important aspects of the project (the hvac) 2nd:You want something with no back up heat 3rd: You live in Michigan 4th: You seem clueless about your choice yet you want to purchase it on e-bay. 5th: Baseboard heat in your new bedroom addition? Yeah, your wife will love you forever for that one. Every night before bed she will remind you what a stupid cheap idiot you were for that choice. 6th: You live in forced air, woodstove, cornburner alley yet you wonder why the hvac guys look at you like you have 3 eyes when you mention a mini split. 7th: Your"?" key doesnt work yet you wish to ask questions. Sounds to me like you have your work cut out for you there, "ace". Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Very classy, Bubba, very helpful. (I always love to be called stupid by somebody calling themself 'Bubba'.) Since you apparently didn't actually READ my post, let me point out that I realize I live in Michigan so I *DO* need back-up heat - that was the whole reason for the post, moron. And you criticize me for wanting to buy online, but two seconds later admit that the local folks aren't any help - apparently you would like me to build a mini-split in my garage or just pray really hard that one drops down from heaven - that also was the whole point in bringing it up. I'll type slower next time so you can keep up... T H A N K Y O U, B U B B A.
On 12 Nov 2006 16:57:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Your very welcome.

Do you really need me to repost your shit? You specifically asked if you should get something with back up heat because you didnt even know if they have such an animal. That doesnt appear to be an "I DO need backup heat" post..............dipshit

No, I admitted that you said your hvac guys looked at you like you had 3 eyes. I would too with a post of questions like yours. I know exactly what splits are available including A/C only, A/C with electric heat, heat pump and heat pump with back up electric heat.

You can pray that one falls from heaven and hits you on the freakin noggin for all I care. Its nice and toasty in my bedroom.

Try reading slower. It may help You! By the way, your caps lock key is stuck. Bubba
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

adequate airflow, most do not.

large register in the floor on the upstairs rooms & the heat went up into those rooms. A mini-split will work okay for air conditioning however, in Michigan that is probably not critical for a well insulated mere 350 sq. ft. room.- udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

adequate airflow, most do not.

large register in the floor on the upstairs rooms & the heat went up into those rooms. A mini-split will work okay for air conditioning however, in Michigan that is probably not critical for a well insulated mere 350 sq. ft. room. A mere half ton 6,000-Btu/hr window unit should do that job in Michigan. <A HREF="http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_charting.html"> - udarrell