Jake - another electrical question

Hi all, it's been 35 years since I've had my PECO (utility) fire & gas training so maybe things have changed...
Today I saw a dispatch for a fire co to cool transformers at a sub station - not in PA but Jersey. Huh? Is there some kind of agent besides dry chemical that could be applied? Or would they just shutdown the operation apply water water then restart? Seems too risky to me and I thought they were trying to avoid a shutdown. But what do I know?
--
Tekkie

Beats the fuck out of me.
Why don't they just add more Freon?

Aren't those transformers outside anyway-exposed to the weather, like rain?
lp13-30 posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Yeah, but they are insulated. Would you like to put about 150m gpm on live high voltage from the ground? Not me! Boots and gloves don't insulate good enough...
--
Tekkie

Tekkie wrote:

It's done nearly continuously, under power... for a healthy transformer. Nothing high psi... just a gentle mist. I've never seen it done on a pole mounted can. We're talking substation transformers on a pad and the bushings a ways up there.
I've seen... in extreme conditions... oil circulators tapped in through a heat exchanger, too.
Generally, if you shut one down under heavy load conditions you'll have other subs tripping rapidly... which is what we're trying to avoid.
I wouldn't want anybody but trained, experienced personnel anywhere near a HV sub. The utility should be doing the cooling....
Jake
Jake posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Ok, so they don't call the axe squad to hose them down. Is this usually a regular part of the substation construction or set up in times of extreme need? -- Tekkie