Infrared electric heaters

Today commercial offering is really confusing.

We have:

1) standard coil-type heaters 2) quartz heaters (a coil inserted in a open quartz tube) 3) carbon heaters 4) ceramic heaters 5) halogen lamp heaters (not to be confused with item 2) 6) ... what else ? :-)

At first one would say that they all have in common a 100% (or somewhat like that) electricity to heat conversion efficiency.

But I suspect that there is more. For example I see that the carbon heaters infrared emission spectrum peak at a longer wave length (at 3 um ?) than halogen heaters (about 1 um ?). I have read that at 3 um radiant heat is best absorbed by water, so a carbon heater should do a better job at drying.

Quartz heaters should offer double the life of halogen lamps. I am not sure, but I think coil-type heaters have the longest wave length (their light is more "reddish").

I am searching information about:

- spectrum data

- power density

- reliability and durability

- robustness

of these heating sources. And comments ... :-) For example. what's good for drying is also good for warming humans ?

R.L.Deboni

Reply to
RLDeboni