Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner Question

Hi, I have a Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner in my home. Model Number F300A. The unit was installed when the home was built (2006) and sits on top of a Trane XB80 Downdraft Gas Furnace. I've noticed a number of times that the orange power light to the unit is not on and the "test" button does not function. This is true whether or not the furnace is running. The power to it is supplied by a 120V power cord and is plugged into the outlet directly beside the furnace. Power to the outlet is fine and not controlled by any timer switches so I know there is power to the outlet 100% of the time.

My question is: Shouldn't the electronic air cleaner be on 100% of the time? Since it seems to be a wholly separate unit from the furnace, it has no mechanism to detect if the furnace is on or not. So shouldn't the orange power light be on all the time and the test button function as well? When the power light IS on, I can hear it zapping debris and the test button functions correctly.

Thanks for any help.

John

Reply to
jhurlbut

wrote

You don't have power to the outlet _all_ of the time. Try plugging anything into the outlet, while the fan _isn't_ running. You'll get the point.........

Reply to
Mumble Jumble

There may be a air flow switch which is acting up.Call out your HVAC tech.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Because of the corona creating ozone, you wouldn't want the EAC on all of the time. You'd only want it on during the fan operation. I'd suggest you do as Moe says, call your local tech. These EAC's produce 8700 volts and really should be approced by a pro.

Reply to
Zyp

One year old and already having troubles with it. In all seriousness........get used to it. You will have many repairs, lots of fun cleaning, lots of popping noises and dusty looking hardwood floors and tabletops. There are better choices or watch your money run down the drain. ....and I used to be a big electronic air cleaner fan. "Aint no mo" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You didn't...

Quote: "I've noticed a number of times that the orange power light to the unit is not on and the "test" button does not function. This is true whether or not the furnace is running."

Reply to
<kjpro

Hi, Typically they are connected to EAC terminals on the furnace logic cocntrol board. It is on only when fan is running. Mine is more than

10 years old and still works fine.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

So, Tony, what if his &#39;system&#39; furnace doesn&#39;t have the nice "control board?" What, if his system utilizes just the orignal spark ignition system without the &#39;nice control&#39; board?

Reply to
Zyp

Hi, Then it goes to blowe motor power line. Common sense when it supposes to run with blower.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, House was built in 2006. If EAC terminal is not present, feed it from blower motor power terminal. Common sense.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most blowers are multi-speed, so there isn&#39;t one terminal.

Reply to
CJT

Since when do they run on common sense?

Reply to
<kjpro

Nice Tony;

But one itsy bittsy problem. When on cooling, you have a EAC connected to one speed. When on heating you have what? No EAC connected? Or do you connect it to both? Hmmm I see a problem. Particularly if you *let the factory smoke out.*

Not so "common cents" now is it? Or is it?

Reply to
Zyp

Tony&#39;s got it figured out though. He still has the old belt drive motor with only one speed and the old Honeywell fan and limit with the plastic window hanging on the outside of the plenum. Yup, he gotz it all fiqured outs. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba