Do not like my home A/C control box

I have a wall mounted A/C control box. It has a few whizbang programming/scheduling features, which we do not use. We just set temperature, because someone is always home anyway.

This control has two AA batteries inside and when the batteries run out of juice, it just dies.

To me, this is very bad, since if it happens when we go on vacation, in winter, the house is going to freeze, resulting in expensive damage.

I am really livid that someone could design a control like this, actually.

In any case, I am looking for a replacement that is designed for reliability, and not for selling to suckers.

Any suggestions? I am personally totally open to the old style round controls that just have a temp dial and heat/cool switch. I would further prefer something that is smart enough not to need a heat/cool switch and would maintain temp inside a band.

Ignoramus2318

Ignoramus;

If you find that you do not have enough wires to provide power to an electronic thermostat [why the batteries], you can try asking your HVAC technition about a product called "add a wire" by Totaline. Not somthing you can find at HD Store. But it might be an answer to your limited wiring [if running a new cable is not in the future.]

Reply to
Zyp

If it had been done right in the first place, it wouldn't be an issue. There are now Honeywell controls with *all* of the bells and whistles that only need 3 wires to connect the head unit on the wall to the actual control box at the furnace or air handler. The only thing is that its only available through your local dealer.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I also was going to mention the fact that many electronic models have a failsafe mode where a mechanical switch closes for heat at 45 or so. I'd also wonder why anyone would be so annoyed at having to change the batteries. Perhaps the unit in question uses too much power compared to the typical electronic thermostat today? The batteries in mine can last for several years and give weeks, if not months worth of warning to replace.

In any case, if all that is wanted is a mechanical, they are still available.

Other option!

Move house.

Reply to
Dave

Don Ocean posted for all of us...

What keeps da wimmin at home? Dang i don't want that! I want all of em ou= t=20 workin da streets wear day belong.

--=20 Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Reply to
Tekkie®