decision on 2 Payne units

I am about to start an 3 ton central AC in my 1500sq ft Ranch, I have all the wiring run and poured the pad, I am going to get a Payne unit question I have is the HVAC tech who is going to braze the lines and set up the system after I am done, gave me a choice between a PH15NB036ooG which is a 15 SEER Heat pump & cooling or a PA16NA036oog which is a 16SEER cooling only, the heat pump model is actually $135 less money, and the air handler would be a PF4MNA037. in the long run are there any more expensive parts in the Heap pump unit, is this a factor to be thinking about. which would be the wiser choice,
thanks Chet

If you're south of the Mason Dixon line go with the heat pump and stay away from Payne.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 17:06:18 -0400, The King

    Payne hertz ?
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 4/5/2010 5:06 PM, The King wrote:

Sir
You say stay away from Payne. any reason, the other units available in this area in the NE PA area would be ComfortMaker or I might be able to get York
Chet

Go with the York if you can afford it. Payne is Carrier's low end junk. Personally I prefer American Standard but if you cant get the good shit in your area you're stuck with what ever.

What did the Manual J heat load/loss calculations come out for sizing the system?
Before you get too far, you need to *READ* the warranty sheets.... any equipment bought from the internet has *NO WARRANTY*.
Also be aware that no legitimate company will install any equipment that was not purchased through their company due to liability and warranty issues.
That being said.... your a cheap bastage... if you don't take anything else from this forum, remember this;
"The bitter taste of a poor quality installation will linger far longer than the initial sweetness of a low price."
On 4/5/2010 8:54 PM, Steve wrote:

Don't know what brought your reply on so weird, I am not buying from the Internet, don't know what the J heat load loss is, the installer figured what the home required.

Sounds like the installer used a "rule of thumb" to size the system.... thats nothing but a guess.... and you gonna base this decission on a guess??....
*IF* the installer did the calculations, you should have gotten a print-out of the results.... OTOH, if you went with him because he was the lowest price, all bets are off..... sorry about your luck.
If you're doing cooling only, I'd go with the one with the higher efficiency.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 4/5/2010 9:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That is what I had in mind also, I ask my installer what his opinion was,he would go with the heat pump because it was cheaper, I think I am going with the cooling only
Chet
actually my installer does work for the company I am a manager of. and I use him for our business's heating & cooling. I had 2 other estimates for my home last fall one guy suggested a 2 1/2 ton and the other offered either the 2 1/2 or 3 ton

So nobody has actually done the math to correctly size the system for your home..... Its not like going to Walmart and buying a toaster that plugs into the wall. *IF* the installer is doing his job right, he should be designing the system specifically for your homes needs. You are about to make a decission that your going to have to live with for the next 15 - 20 years..... Hire a professional, not the lowest bidder or somebody who "does it on the side".
Chet wrote:

Hmmm, As a consumer if I am having an installer do work on my HVAC needs I want him do the basics first. Manual J calculation to get at the system requirement. He has to look at duct system too. Installing either under/over sized system is economically bad thing and also it'll impact your comfort level. Payne is low end Carrier costing less. There is a reason it costs less. Like Armstrong is made by Lennox. I am familiar with Carrier and always stick with Carrier and good dependable(knowledge, training and experience) tech I have known for years. Do the right thing and enjoy the result for many years to come.