CSST or Flex connectors thru cabinet

Page 1 of 2
With the problem of lightning burning thru the thin wall of CSST, and subsequent bonding requirements now enforced by code officials, is running CSST or flexible gas connectors thru the side of the furnace allowed by mfg's. installation inst?
The practice is not a code violation in itself but mfg. instructions trump code. I have seen several installation instructions that state the furnace is designed to be connected with steel pipe, street ells, unions, etc. Kind of vague but none I have seen said run CSST or flexible gas connector straight to the regulator valve.
I can't think of a worse place to have a hole punched in the gas line than at the edge of the furnace cabinet. Probably would happen in the middle of the summer, during a lightning storm, and go undetected until the furnace lights for the first time in the fall.
98% of the furnaces I see have black pipe extending to the exterior of the furnace cabinet where CSST or other pipe connects. It's the other 2% that I have a problem with. If the majority of mfgs. require using a heavy steel pipe to the exterior, I would like to know.
Thanks in advance
Vern
I always extend the black iron pipe to the exterior of the cabinet before attaching gasflex. I have had a couple of calls in the past where gasflex has been compromised by either lightning and/or vibration where it went thhrough the cabinet.

repair had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-CSST-or-Flex-connectors-thru-cabinet-32714-.htm :
\\//. (__) (oo) /-------/ / | || * ||----|| ~~ ~~

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26794 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
****** ****** ******* ============================ ******* ******* ******* =========== ** ** ** ------------------------------------- Noon-Air wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26794 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

It *is* against the manufacture's installation instructions and IMC to run a flex line through an unprotected knockout.
What is the definition of "unprotected knockout"? Does that mean if there is a rubber grommet, its ok? Still would not stop lightning arc.

No grommet to protect against rubbing throught the tubing.

Yep
That's why I use Black Pipe!
Thermo Pride has this statement in the installation. "These furnaces are set-up to be gas piped through either the left or right side by using a street elbow and a straight pipe. For the purposes of service, it is recommended that the gas union be located inside the furnace, when possible." Do you know if other mfg. have a similar statement?

Vern Heiler wrote:

Wow? Not any of the states I have worked in would allow that, even if it is manufacturers listing. That comes under Gas codes. How do you turn off and unhook that beast in a tight enclosure such as in Condo's, Apartments, Trailer houses..etc?

Simple, you turn the gas cock to the off position and break the black union. What's so hard about that?
KJPRO wrote:

And slide it right out.. ;-) Sure you do. I chatted with the Fire Marshall yesterday at coffee.. He said absolutely not. He also said someone should reread the listers instructions as there is no way that would be acceptable. Also made some snotty comments about service people from 3rd world states and countries.

Slide it out, sure do. Fire marshall said what wasn't acceptable? (Flex through cabinet)
Vern Heiler wrote:

Doesn't make much difference. If you get hit by lightning , your screwed anyway. Do you really think even a foot of metal is going to stop a few hundred Billion volts of flash lightning? Have you ever noted the aftermath of a lightning strike. Yes Virginia yous can use flex to hook up a G.Furnace by the IMC. But do it right. The concern is sharp edge damage and kinking is a helluva a no no.

Petre, the problem is with the thickness of the flexible SST. Holes burn thru easily. With thick schd. 40 black iron pipe, it just makes a black mark on the exterior of the pipe.

Vern Heiler wrote:

If the unit was a package unit, I could understand the "lightening" thing, but a furnace in a closet, attic, or basement? I also recommend using black pipe with a union for a solid connection, or flexible gas connector outside of the appliance. It's required under UMC. What's really intersting is the UMC also requires a drain leg, but no one does 'em anymore.
--
Zyp

no drip leg?? wanna bet??

I's do.
Zyp wrote:

Gotta have-em here in South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana. Its good for a dirt leg along with condensation

... I do.
But what's wrong with a little 'T', nipple and a cap amongst friends anyway? :o)
-zero

Code here states that they must be hard piped 2" out of the unit, but as long as the nut on the flex line is outside of the cabinet they haven't turned us down yet. They have only been enforcing it for a few years-- maybe 3-4. Before that they would allow Armaflex on the line to protect it. As I understand there was a fire/explosion due to a cut flex line, so they had to start enforcing the code. We try to get the customers to have it done for a fairly small charge during the annual maint. service.I will usually do it free if we installed the furnace regardless of it's age. I can personally attest to the potential danger. I had it happen on one of my units at home-- on propane no less. Luckily I had run out of propane when it happened. Larry