Cooling Problems Upstairs

Hello all,
I moved into my 3,200 sq. ft home about 1 year ago. I have 2 3.5-ton Trane units (2TXCB036BC3HCAA). Last fall, I had to call the home warranty people because my upstairs unit was not cooling properly (could not maintain 77 degrees with 85-90 degrees outside). They detected a leak and replaced the evaporator coil. Now that Summer is on the way, I'm noticing similar problems. I've had a very experienced HVAC person maintain my systems every 6 months (his visit 3 weeks ago was his third time working on my systems). He verified pressures and charged me with 2 lbs. 10oz of refrigerant.
Since then, the upstairs is still not cooling properly. It was 85 outside yesterday and today and 80-82 inside. The unit is running constantly. I don't believe it's freezing up because I can feel airflow at each vent, but the air is not very cold as compared to the air which comes out from the downstairs unit.
The downstairs unit is located in my cool basement whereas the upstairs unit is in the hot attic. The downstairs is using mainly galvanized duct whereas the upstairs is using the insulated circular duct. I've noticed the airflow coming out of the downstairs vents is much more forceful than upstairs. Also the air coming out of the downstairs unit is much colder. Unfortunately I don't have the required instruments to measure the actual temperatures in these cases.
I've logged a call with my home warranty folks so hopefully I'll have another pair of eyes on the problem. Any other thoughts on what the problem could be?
Thanks!
/Brian/
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 26529 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Yeah, several things come to mind. But, till a real tech can lay his hands on it everything would be a WAG.
On 01 Jun 2008 23:55:35 GMT, briandlong_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Veck) wrote:

Thats an awful lot of cooling but since I havent seen your house I cant really comment.

That would be mistake number 1. If you need an explaination then I cant help you.

hmmm......remember that thing I said above about mistake number 1?

It appears your "very experienced HVAC person" is not very experienced. Lets call that mistake number 2.

hmmm......remember that thing I said about mistake number 2?

and your point is........??

uh ohh. It looks like you've just logged mistake number 3.

I believe the problem is the "guy" that keeps calling the home warranty company.
It takes money and quality to fix the problem. You dont seem to be using either. Bubba

sounds like Bubba can't stop himself from posting. What a wast of time.
Make call to PJ he will solve your problem Hahahehe Tony

Veck wrote:

Failure #1 = Trane Unit Failure #2 = Home Warranty Service Failure #3 = Hot attic, cool basement, not the problem. Refrigerant charge, that's the problem.
--
Zyp

Gotta love DIY... I just pulled 7lbs 12oz of *excess* refrigerant charge out of a 10SEER 3 ton A/C. That was the first time I had ever *seen* 95psi SP, and 475psi LLP with a scroll compressor.
Hmm. Bet the superheat was a bit low?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lemme guess. Either Stormy or new jersey was there before you? Bubba :-)
Bubba wrote:

7 or 8 times. ;-p

Did my competitor open a new store in your area???