Condenser Coils

I'll ask the question before going out to check model #, etc. since, depending on the answer, all that may be academic. I have a Heil 3.5 ton unit - probably 20 years old (mobile home). Just replaced the compressor a few weeks ago. Now they say I have six leaks in the condenser coil. They are saying if they can't find a replacement coil, I will need a new unit. I am unable to afford one... low fixed income, retired. Are there generic condenser coils? Do I need that, specific manufacturer's part?

John

Reply to
Groaner

They didn't know you had a leak previous to the compressor installation?

It does require an OEM part to replace the condenser coil.

Reply to
KJPRO

You are not likely to get much sympathy from the regular posters, here. Except perhaps one or two. That said, the mobile home units I've serviced, most of them are a complete unit out side with large flex ducts to and from the trailer. I've never heard of replacing just the condensor one of those. There is some leak plugger stuff made, and sold in some HVAC companies. Sounds like you're a candidate to try the leak stuff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the replies. At this point, it is holding coolant for about

3 weeks before it all leaks out and it freezes up. He said the leaks are in the small coils and they would just melt if he tried to fix them. I was really hoping there was a generic condenser that could replace it. $2800 for a new unit might as well be a million for me. I live in Florida - I guess we're having fun now (haha).

John

Reply to
Groaner

Quite frankly my dear.... oh, I'm sorry, I got carried away..

- A competent, trained service tech should be able to find, repair and guarantee serviceable leaks on the condenser coil. Can't think of any leaks on a Heil that can't be repaired [even in the tube sheet.] Find a quality service tech who knows WTF they're doing. He will find [in a reasonable amount of time] seal, dehydrate and recharge your unit. [And it's likely he will use the refrigerant he pulled out [recovered] and top it off with virgin gas.]. Good luck.

Reply to
Zyp

Sorry, but you won't find me repairing a leak on a evap or condenser in the tube sheets! That is just asking for someone to pay big bucks for a repair and then PRY it doesn't spring another leak somewhere else... if it's leaking one place... it's likely to find it's way out somewhere else. Another thing you won't find me doing is using the existing refrigerant on a leaking system. It gets a proper evacuation and fresh virgin refrigerant. I'm not banking me rep on refrigerant that may or may not be pure.

Reply to
KJPRO

quoted text -

When a hvac is evacuated and fresh virgin refrigerant is used for refilling, I do not see any trained service tech adding oil to the system. Fresh refrigerant dos not come with oil to keep the system lubricated. In past year, I lost my compressor because the heat pump lost its oil two times due to the tube breakage in the condenser unit two times. I am very displeased with HVAC trained techs. I came to the conclusion that the automobile air conditioning technicians pay more attention to the oil in the auto air conditioning systems than any trained and certified HVAC technicians.

Reply to
Freud

When a hvac is evacuated and fresh virgin refrigerant is used for refilling, I do not see any trained service tech adding oil to the system. Fresh refrigerant dos not come with oil to keep the system lubricated. In past year, I lost my compressor because the heat pump lost its oil two times due to the tube breakage in the condenser unit two times. I am very displeased with HVAC trained techs. I came to the conclusion that the automobile air conditioning technicians pay more attention to the oil in the auto air conditioning systems than any trained and certified HVAC technicians.

Ya think that maybe its because you *measure* what goes into the automotive compressors because they are shipped without oil in them?? Resi compressors come pre-charged with the correct oil for the application, and the loss of an ounce or 2 is not gonna hurt a resi system...especially seeing that most resi compressors can usually be used with a lineset of up to 100ft without having to add any additional oil, and the *average lineset length is only around 35 - 40ft.

I would think that unless there was *physical damage* to the condenser to cause the coil breakage, that the coils and compressor should have been repaired or replaced under *FULL* warranty.

Now... before you get your panties wadded up anymore, you might want to do a little research on residential heat pump and air conditioning systems, because they are *NOT* the same as automotive. There is a reaso for 608 and

609 certs being different.
Reply to
Noon-Air

You're just mad because some hack like zyp took advantage of you.And did I mention you're a dumbass for letting them?

Reply to
What a maroon

When a hvac is evacuated and fresh virgin refrigerant is used for refilling, I do not see any trained service tech adding oil to the system. Fresh refrigerant dos not come with oil to keep the system lubricated. In past year, I lost my compressor because the heat pump lost its oil two times due to the tube breakage in the condenser unit two times. I am very displeased with HVAC trained techs. I came to the conclusion that the automobile air conditioning technicians pay more attention to the oil in the auto air conditioning systems than any trained and certified HVAC technicians.

Guess what... it wasn't the lack of oil that killed your compressor! Why don't you quit posting inaccurate statements???

Reply to
KJPRO

That's very signifigant. Was your father paying more attention to your mother? Is your inner desire to marry your mother, so you can add oil to her HVAC system?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He doesn't know any better.

Reply to
Noon-Air

quoted text -

The oil is usually put in with the initial breaking of the vacuum or pumped in. The oil cannot be exposed to air. This is not your automotive service. It is different. R12 and R134A is a lot more forgiving then R410A(Puron). As fo training ..Every guy with a wrench thinks he is an expert in Electronics and AC. There are more f*ck-ups in the auto industry then in ours. If ou don't believe it ..check the accident records. Also see how many Auto guru's are licensed and have insurance. If your HVAC guy screwed up, you do have recourse. If your just mouthing off and destroying his reputation, then he has no legal recourse.m Of course I am old and set in my ways. I would punch your lights out! So be damned sure you are correct in his service techniques and his proveable failure to add necessary oil. That compressor could well have been damage in the initial loss of oil. I bet you didn't shut it down immediately. It might have run with burned bearings etc until final end was reached. How long do you drive your car when the oil pan has broken and lost its oil. About 2 minutes and your engine is out to lunch. I have held every HVAC license.. And that includes Automotive. I have made a lot of money on the all knowing that have screwed the pooch on their own DIYS.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Nicolas

"The oil cannot be exposed to air" This is a 20 year old system that was operating on R-22, not a R-410a system with POE.

Reply to
KJPRO