Comfortmaker system leaking freon

Hello All,
I have a heat pump that is 16 years old and my AC is not cooling. I had a tech come out and say the coil in my furnance is leaking and it will cost at $598. 00 to replace the coil. The coil can be replaced with a brand new one and not used? Is this true? I was also told the life of the system is about 15 years so I should get a new system. What will a new system run for? I really do not trust BGEHOME. I have a three bedroom townhouse that was built in 1990. Thanks for your help.

Ask your pricing question at HVAC-Talk . com
They love to answer these types of questions!

$598 for a coil? Maybe i can get them to do mine for that. I get between 900 and 1400 depending on size.
Life of an AC system is 15 years. It's served well and is ready for retirement. Get a new system.

So you don't trust bgehome but you trust a bunch of total strangers on the internet that you've never even met then? You deserve whatever you get.

put a can of this in your leaky system and never worry about another refrigerant leak.
http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr /
Hey Fish!

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadidp100

I wouldn't use that shit if my life depended on it!
"HeatMan" wrote:

J, I tend to march to the beat of my own drum, and wouldnt make a very good lemming at all.
I consistantly use the product, and it works for me, so I dont give a fucking rats ass to the negative views expressed by other less informed people.
Take careful notice that the people shouting this product down HAVE NOT used it themselves, and as such have no FIRST HAND knowledge of the product.
The PDF file someone posted in the thread is dated June 2003. Then click on the testimonial links on cliplights page. Sept 2003, Ford Motor Company is PRAISING cliplight's product. Which one should you believe?
My two cents says first hand experience takes precedence over hearsay.
Point taken.

There are people there that have used it and said it caused trouble.
mea culpa.
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:46:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Just for the record (since I tend to bitch rather loud) I bought a can. Why? Dunno. Wanted to read it for myself. Not real thrilled with the prep of it. Gotta evacuate the hose first, then let it fill up with r-22 from your system. Let it sit for a few mins, then charge it into the system. If it doesnt all go into the system, refill the can again with the system charge, let it sit a few and charge it back in again???. Sounds a bit goofy but thats the condensed instructions right from the sheet. Then if you get into the R410a, it makes mention of recovering the complete system charge and starting over due to the high pressures or whatever. It pretty much made me think not to mess with it on a 410a system. Ive offered it to 2 ppl so far. No takers. One wants a new coil, the other is waiting to hear since it is holding up a real estate deal. Im not saying good or bad about it yet. Its just another avenue that may prove very nice or very messy. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Bubba, think long and hard about the evacuation of the hose instructions......then picture this.....
partially screw the hose onto the can, then screw the hose onto your schrader. Once fully engaged on the shrader, there will be a de minimis amount of refrigerant leak where the hose screws onto the can. Once you think all the air has been displaced in the hose, finish screwing the hose onto the can.
Once you allow refrigerant vapor to mix with the cans contents, the can gets really hot. Cool the can to ambient before proceeding. Shake the can & hold upside down while filling contents into system....once empty you can disconnect the hose from the schrader port and then finish charging with refrigerant.

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:31:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:
<Much deleted above here because scrolling takes too long>

Welll............yeah, sure......if you wanna do it the easy way. :-)