Charging for Quotes/Proposals

Page 1 of 3
With the raising cost of EVERYTHING, I'm now charging for Quotes/Proposals.
Why not? It's a service to the perspective client and I don't know too many people that will come to your home and perform a service for nothing!
I've been thinking about this for some time now, well, I feel now is the time.
Anyone else think this is a good/bad idea? Have you thought about it or have a similar plan for marketing? What do ya think? (Pro's or Con's)

Are you saying you are going to charge for telling a client how much you are going to charge them? I would eliminate you as a contractor as soon as you told me you would charge me for your quote.

people
are
Would you drive your vehicle to my home (with gasoline at $3.00+) and work for free for the afternoon?
If not, WHY do you expect me to do it?

To give an estimate -------> Yes. I did it all of the time when doing odd jobs as a teenager and while going to college.

Your competitor does trying to get my business and some come bearing gifts.

you
work
Quote/Proposals (not guesstimates)
This includes a minimum of 2-3 hours of your time... when are you available to work next week?

"Quote/Proposals" or what ever you want to call it I would not pay for. Would you pay the contractor a fee that came over to give a "Quote/Proposal" on your home to replace your windows with more efficient ones? Would you pay the contractor a fee for a "Quote/Proposal" on new siding? Would you pay a contractor a fee on a "Quote/Proposal" to pave your parking lot/ driveway? Would you pay the contractor a fee for a "Quote/Proposal" to build you wife that patio/deck she wants for mothers day?

is
as
"Quote/Proposal"
No, I'd purchase/install the windows myself.

No, I'd purchase/install the siding myself.

No, I'd pour concrete first.

wife
Again, no, I'd purchase/build this myself.

Would you pay the saleman a fee for him telling you the cost of the windows?

Would you pay the saleman a fee for him him figuring up how much siding, corners and J channel you needed and telling you the cost of the siding?

Would you pay the saleman a fee for him figuring up the yardage and telling you the cost of the concrete?

Would you pay the cashier a fee for him/her telling you the cost of the lumber?

now
soon
windows?
I would be PURCHASING them, dipshit.

No, I'd figure it out myself.

telling
Again, no, I'd figure it out myself.

Yes, it'd be included in the overall cost, as it's figured into the cost of material.
Anymore stupid questions?

Each window like a HVAC system is custom made. Have you ever measured for custom made energy windows?

Have you ever figured how much siding is needed or ever installed it?

Have you ever figured concrete yardage or ever poured a slab?

So you are willing to pay the cashier an extra $25.00 for telling you how much your lumber will cost you.

too
nothing!
feel
how
$3.00+)
Bullshit, each window ISN'T custom made (many are standard sizes). Some people are in the construction business and will install other sizes than the existing windows. I guess you've never heard of this?

siding,
siding?
Yes, in fact I have.

Yes, in fact I have.

you
If she's really hot, I'd pay more!
The software I use [Manual J 8th Ed.] comes with all sorts of data to choose from for walls, windows, ceiling, etc. I really don't understand when someone CAN'T choose the right settings / choices.
But back to the OP subject. Kpro is right. We all should charge a fee for coming out, spending several hours measuring, figuring, and writing the quote. Some contractor salesman use "hard sell tactics" to complete the sale and make their trip worth while.
--
Zyp

<kjpro @ usenet.com> wrote in message

Energy efficient replacement windows are not standard size. Each one is custom built. You cannot go tp Lowes and buy them.

Then why are you selling HVAC? Jack of all trades and master of none?

Jack of all trades and master of none?

LMAO!

you
pay
for
sizes
Did I say to purchase them at Lowes? No, I didn't!!!!

I'll put my craftsmanship up against yours ANY day of the week.

You have no idea, boy...

build
how

Scalpels at 10 paces.

Well you have claimed to be able to custom make energy efficient windows, HVAC, pour concrete and build decks.

are
the
measured
it?
lot/
and
No, I said "I'd purchase/install the windows myself".
I *didn't* post anything about *making windows*. You better keep your facts straight. (just in case you *forgot*, you can look above as it's all quoted)
As far as doing HVAC, pouring concrete, building decks, yes, those are facts... and the list just keeps going.
Like I said, you have no idea who you are dealing with.

Actually he has got you pretty well pegged for troll bait, and its working. Just killfile the SOB.

hey dont argue with KJ !!
I've been fishing with him & I can tell you he is one Master Baiter!

people
are
Pretty sure that's the general idea...or at least it serves to accomplish the same desired end result...
== KJ :
In my own racket, what we do here is "politely decline"...this after taking a bit of extra time with the initial phone consult...basically weeding out most of the lookie-loo's

the
you
taking
Yep, the price shoppers are growing by the minute. They grab the phone book and call everyone listed asking for a free estimate.
Not to sound cocky, but I'm very thorough with my services and (without a doubt) I'm the best in my area.
The price shoppers are going to use the "lowest bidder". Than after it doesn't meet their expectations, they come back to me to solve their issues.
While that's job security, handing out "free advice" only to get "out bid" by another HVAC company just isn't smart. Just how many hours a week are we supposed to work for free?
Personally, my time isn't up for auction. It's so much an hour for consulting, guidance, advice, services, etc... I don't know anyone that can work for free and continue to cover their obligations. If anyone knows where this works, please post the Planet.