you know you're a mad gardener when......

Page 1 of 2
you know you're a madgardener when you're sitting in the theater, watching "Return of the Kings" and you catch yourself telling your spouse that the bright red flowers outside Sam Gamgee's house at the end of the movie are very healthy nasturtiums............. madgardener
They may be healthy plastic nasturtiums.............

Nope. You have to search websites and find out who *grew* the nasturtiums. Unless, of course, your own are comparable. I've never been able to nurture a respectable nasturtium. But I know what you mean.
All of the colors in that last Shire part looked artificially heightened. Maybe that's what gave the "plastic" look to the nasturtiums. zemedelec

They do much better in cool weather. Mine go great till about May, then poop out and start up again in September. Of course for those who don't know, I live in USDA Zone 8b, Austin, Texas.
We have two short growing seasons here, rather than one long.

You start dead-heading them as you carry on a conversation. ;-) Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

I've done that.
Marilyn
On 12/22/03 7:32 AM, in article
wrote:

Or weed a friends garden, a complete strangers garden or worst, a public garden. I've done all three!

Or weed the woods! Or potted shrubs at a garden center! Or you see an unkempt house with a tree sapling growing out of their rain gutter, and you ask if you can transplant it!

lmao! /looks out of window at woods across road
They can stay weedy over here. I have enough to contend with with my garden! I do confess to removing dead leaves in nurseries... and almost choking when I see how pot bound some of the plants are :-/ -- Lynda
Actually, this is what got me into the industry. I used to go to my favorite garden center all the time. I'd walk around looking at plants, pulling weeds, cleaning the plants, even watered some. The owner came over to me one day and asked if I'd like to work there. I quit my 18 dollar an hour (20 years ago) job and worked for 6 dollars an hour at the garden center. I never looked back. After a year I was the manager and director of the herb division. I went to school, became a grower and that was that.
opined:

I've actually pulled a weed during a daylily tour. But never ever dead head in a daylily garden, you never know if they are hybridizing! And if that new place up the road ever gets going, I just might start pulling weeds myself! Cheryl On 12/22/03 10:13 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

there is NO MONEY and NOTHING like working at something you love! congrats to you!
--
rosie
( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Yes, I never felt so free. I am starting to grow again. My neighbor has more acreage than we and isn't using an inch of it. Next year I am going to buy two larger greenhouses and pay her rent from November till March. Clearly, I can sell what I grow, since I did last spring and this fall.
I'd love to make 5,000 dollars a year, but that is pipe dreams!

Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
LOL... yep, I saw them too. I know there was a lot of talk about they started 2 years before to landscape for the shooting... 2 years for the plants to mature and look like they been there a while. wasnt it an incredible movie? Ingrid

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:31:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

yes absolutely incredible. I can't wait now for them to release the DVD to complete the set we've gotten already. (I have a bad habit of purchasing the first release and then they came out with the extended versions. This time I will hold back and wait until I know it's the only version they're releasing. I told my husband it was a nice back up DVD collection we have and he just says "yeah, right" but he loves these movies too. Starz was playing the extended version back to back with the release of Two Towers this weekend, but I pointed out to him that the Two Towers version was the first release and not the extended version. But it was nice to see both of them and then go to the Return of the King the next morning. (boy was he glad I purchased the tickets online for mattinee and we got there 45 minutes early for best seating. The place filled up completely and they were showing it in two theaters where we were) Maddie
I try to wait for the extended/director's cut/collector's editions :) especially on anything Pixar puts out :) I love all the extra stuff.
Shell

Do wait. They will release it again in a three picture set, probably with about 15 DVDs! I still haven't seen any of these films, nor Harry Potter films, but I will catch up. I'm waiting for The Matrix to come out in a box set. That was the most about Buddhism in any film that I've seen, sans Seven Years in Tibet or Kundun.
Victoria

my problem would be that I have the extended first two, and I wouldn't be able to afford a boxed set. You ain't seen the Harry Potter films???? Honey I don't get out and even I"VE seen the Harry Potter films and have them on DVD <g> (I keep begging son to find his books so I can READ them.........and this summer, THIS SUMMER the next one is due out! This is starting to get fun. Makes getting well into 50 worth the wait. I had fun as a twenties and some during my 30's but my Crone teen years are a riot. Who knew?? <gBSEG> Even the re-release of Peter Pan looks like it's worthy of the story. Now if only they'd do a REAL version of the dark story about Mary Poppins. She was never a wholesome rosy cheeked nanny. She was a witchly, stern character and when I read her story one rainy day in my huge over sized closet, I had nightmares for weeks.................Another book I'd just love to find a copy of is The Water Babies.........sigh. My search has gone on for this book for decades. I remember the original one in my elementary school in Nashville I checked out continuously with rememberance of Chimney sweepTom and Mrs. Doasyouwouldbedoneby and Miss Beasyouhavealwaysbeen and the waterbabies..................if I EVER find a copy of that with the original prints throughout the book, I will be a happy bookworm............... madgardener