You KNOW it's too darned hot when...

Page 2 of 3

In a 1 year window, the Republicans hope to beat Obama in the presidential elections. Which is IMHO a charade to make it look like the politicians are really doing something, like a couple of WWF Smack-Down wrestlers before their scripted match. As it stands, the scenario is that the Democrats are crooks, and the Republicans are crazy. The rich own the 5 major corporations that control the media by which we are ill informed <http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530_comment.php#48355 , and through bribes (campaign contributions), the politicians. As with our healthcare reforms, I predict that the rich will win the next election.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would cut Social
On 7/22/2011 11:38 AM, Chris wrote:

Has not quite topped 100 here in northern Delaware but my tomatoes grown on deck in pots don't appear to like all the heat we are getting. Tomatoes look good but plant growth seems down. Hybrid big boy and early girl don't look as good as heirloom brandywine.

Same here, tomatoes look healthy but the growth is down, I would estimate one forth shorter in height than normal.

On 7/22/2011 5:04 PM, Nad R wrote:

After posting, I visited neighbor with plants in the ground and they were bigger and greener but he did go for later planting and is just starting to get ripe ones while I've had them for nearly a month.
His cucumbers are ready for picking but mine are only an inch or so. Again, ground vs pot.

My cucumbers are going like gang busters, soon the canning equipment gets dragged out of the basement. I will say cucumbers seem to like hot weather. I think I am going to grow okra each year again, it must be a food year for okra growers.

How do you 'can' them? ie what do you do to them before they go into the container?

I will pickle them, mostly bread and butter, a few will the refrigerator type, most will use the Water Bath. Some I will slice, some relish, some whole. I always go by the Holy Bible of Preserving Book, it is THE best book out there. "Ball Home preserving book"
I have others books, but this book has the details on equipment, food preparation and canning methods. This book is a must have book for preserving food.

wrote in message

Thanks Nad. I'm rather fond of bread and butter cukes, but other than that, I tend to use them fresh. I've read about the Ball book often but since US preserving techniques aren't the same as I'd use (and I already have a thousand such books), I just can't manage to justify buying it.
FarmI wrote:

We mainly make sweet sliced cucumbers (bread n butter style) SWMBO has a great simple recipe if you are interested.
wrote in message

Yes please. I don't necessarily promise to try it, but it's always worth checking out any new techniques/ingredients etc, that may improve on my current one.
Could you ask her indoors if she has a good recipe for a zucchini pickle while you are at it please? I've tried one sold by a now defunct small deli that has very thinly sliced zucchini in a very clear pickle liquid and it has mustard seeds and onions and, accordign to the label, flour. The flour must be miniscule amount given how clear the liquid is.
FarmI wrote:

Quick bread and Butter Cucumbers
1 cup = 250ml 20 cups washed and thin-sliced cucumber 4 tsp celery seed 2 tsp ground tumeric 2 tsp yellow mustard seed 6 tsp salt 2 cups sugar 2 cups good white vinegar
Mix sugar with cucumber allow to stand for an hour. Put spices and salt into vinegar, bring to the boil turn off heat and allow to steep for an hour. Add vinegar mix to cucumbers and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Bottle hot in sterile jars, pushing down the fruit so it is covered by liquid.

The same recipe works for zucchinis
David
wrote in message

Thank you David.

After Hot Packing the jars do you put them in a BWB, Boiling Water Bath?

Nad R wrote:

No. As long as the jars and lids are sterile and you fill them with near boiling fruit it isn't required. If have used this method a lot and never had one go bad.

i was just wondering about the ten minute simmering point.
I do not think it is about going bad, the vinegar will alone will do it's jobs. Pushing out the extra little bit of air, I would think, may or may not improve the color and texture of the pickles. But I am not sure. Most books I have read uses a ten minute BWB at the end of processing. Thought that may be the simmering point.

wrote in message

I know you asked the question of David, but I'll chip in. If I was packing hot pickle type product into hot sterilised bottles, I wouldn't bother.
On 7/22/11 11:38 AM, Chris wrote:

When you see the jackrabbits carrying canteens.
Steve

I am seeing more wildlife on the move, water is becoming scarce for them. The ponds and are really low this year. I saw my little yorkie out in the field last week and would not come when I called. My little yorkie found a bunch new born rabbits. Little Mickey killed four new born rabbits about twice the size of a mouse and was eating one, he ran off from me and completely ate one of the baby rabbits. I should say the adult rabbits are just a little bigger than my little feisty dog.

We have a glut of wildlife here this year due to spring rains last spring. Included is thousands of acres of foxtails, causing problems with the animals, and wildfires. I have never ever seen as many rabbits as there are this year. But correspondingly, no increase in coyote numbers. We have coyotes come to our back yard, which abuts public land. We have irrigated pastures. At night, I can see three dozen at any given time. Seems to be lots of quail, too, coming into their second clutch of this year. But I haven't heard a coyote yet this year.
I hope the rabbits eat all the foxtails, but they seem to prefer green over dry.
Not as hot here, only up to 105 or so, but August is coming.
Steve XXtreme SW Utah