World Cup

I was just wondering if any one can help me? I want to grow a St George
cross in my front garden for the world cup in the summer of 2006, bu as I know absolutely nothing about gardening or plants. Can any on tell me what flowers I need and what to do. Thank
-- joyboy
joyboy wrote:

What kind of plant is a St Georges Cross? Where do you live?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

snipped-for-privacy@gmen.invalid says...

The St. George's Cross isn't a plant - it's a flag. It has a white background with a red cross. It is the origin of the red cross in the British Union Jack flag.
Since the original poster mentions the World Cup, (rugby? soccer?), he wants to show his support for the English team.
So, basically, he is looking for any short flowers that are available in white and red, which can be done with minimal effort (e.g. *not* roses.)
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Sounds like a good application for was begonias.
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

Petunias come to mind.

USDA Zone 8

Probably you want red- and white-flowered bedding plants, of similar, and probably low, height. Sweet Alison (Lobularia maritima) is a good, floriferous, white-flowered annual. IIRC, there's white bedding Lobelias as well. Bedding Salvias include some bright scarlet forms. Or, if taller plants will do the trick, there's the combination of Lavatera 'Mont Blanc' and Lavatera 'Ruby Regis'.
You'd probably be better inquiring on uk.rec.gardening, where people are more likely to be familiar with British conditions. Also, let them know what time of year you're aiming for, and roughly were you are, as that will constrain your choices.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley Wrote:

Brilliant thank you for your help