Which mulch best inhibits lawn grass?

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

Concrete?

Is your lawn seeding itself into your mulch or are you trying to kill the lawn by covering it with mulch.

If the latter, use landscape cloth, then put mulch on top.

Reply to
despen

Poured concrete.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

The answer may be in choosing the best mulch or there could be another way of doing what you want. If you told us the situation it would be easier to say. In general the best mulch is the one you can source locally and cheaply.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Okay, here's the longer story.

I want to plant some mixed wildflowers. There used to be lawn grass in that location. I poisoned the grass, much to the outrage of some people on this group. The poison couldn't have been all that bad -- the grass was green until I roto-tilled it today. It's been 30 days since I poisoned the grass, and the bottle says to wait 7 days.

I live in zone 6B; the soil has lots of clay.

If you want more details, please ask.

Thank you for all advice.

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

I prefer compost over mulch for flower beds. Wood mulch and playground mulch takes a long time to decompose and weed and grass will grow up between the chips making it much harder to remove weeds. A thick later of compost every so often will keep smothering grass and is easier to remove weeds. Weeding with a D-Hoe or also called a stirrup hoe is a nice tool for weeding. No need get on your knees and pull weeds out. Also no need to remove cut weeds they will decompose and just keep cutting the weeds with the hoe every so often.

If you are going to plant your wildflowers in a compacted way. Weeds and grass will have a harder time to get through and may not need anything extra.

If you are an enemy of the Earth. One can poison the Earth with Preen for flowers beds that keeps grass and some weeds out. But that will make you an evil person. Just be thankful the world did not come to an end today :)

Reply to
Nad R

Why do you want a mulch on a wildflower meadow? Mulches enrich the soil. wildflowers in grass thrive on rather poor, compacted soils which allow them to compete with the grasses.

Janet

Reply to
Janet