What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1)

Page 1 of 2
I have two of these big hosta plants on the north side of my home. They're beautiful except the edges of the leaves turn brown. There's another variety next to them that doesn't have this problem. Is it problem with this variety? I don't think it's too much sun but maybe for this variety it is. Possibly a soil deficiency? Any help is appreciated. Please see attached picture for example (I don't know if I should be posting a picture to this group but not sure how to show example otherwise). Thanks for any help!
Big Time
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
Exactly where on the freaking planet are you?
What is has the temperature been the past few days?
When is the last time you watered the plants?
Which 'variety" is it that is having the problem? Is it a variegate?
You cannot post pictures to this newsgroup. Try alt.binaries.pictures.gardens instead.

now how did I know that Cereus-fashizzle hisself was gonna be the first in line to pour the gasoline and light the match? Don't let his dragon breath scald you, you didn't know, and I don't mind in the least that you posted the picture. We ARE a garden newsgroup, and it's not like Spike over in Garden Web is going to banish you to Disneyland's website for screwing up. Get over yerself, Cereus. The gardener doesn't know what's wrong and is asking those of us who know. And how do you know that where Big Time is that it's hot and they haven't watered their hosta? Yes, it's probably from dryness, or heat, but they did say it was on the north side of the house. You'd do well working at the nursery at Home Depot......... madgardener ducking behind Zhan now...........

I did not burn the dude, you fallacious flicker farkle.
Unlike you, I told him exactly in which newsgroup he could post the pix. A bit of info far more practical than your inane pedant. Also there were certain bits of key info he failed to provide.
May you kiss my home depot and be banished to six flags over Cucamonga for being such a pessimistic screwball. Since when are you a "we" anyway? Do you have multiple personalities? Why don't you get a job working as a fluffer at Wal-Mart?

I like that! Fallacious Flicker farkle. Thank you, does that make me related to Sparkle Farkle?? I hope so!! <GBSEG>

apologies for my inane pedant................more and more I infrequent this newsgroup because my ramblings are just a waste of breath or writing. maybe I'm suffering from writers block or need to just lurk and keep silent for a year or so.................I'd still be able to see your good retorts though. I do appreciate yer dry wit thanks to the loving hand of Zhan. At least you addressed me. I meant no harm in my observations about you, Cereius. I admire you in your quick retorts and replys although you slice people sometimes with your sharp tongue.....
Do you

Why don't you get a job working as a fluffer at

at Lowes now as it is and can't afford a wage decrease to work for Wally. They only pay minimum...........at least with Lowes, I get $7.84 an hour and 13 hours a week! <g> (they've cut me hours along with everyone elses apparently).. have a good weekend. maddie
Holy Roman and Marvin's Laff Inn. (I know. I deliberately misspelled it, all you dweeb old timers without a sense of humor. That was what Marcello Mastroianni called the show.)
Don't forget your twin brothers Simon and Gar Farkle!

I LOVED Simon and Garfarkle..............<g> and to update you on yer comment (and I have quite a good sense of humor thank yew vury mutch......) I ain't no Wally fluffer.......I left that job fer yer sister....................<eg> Rohan and Marvin's Snicker Motel was one ofmy very most favorite shows. Got any Walnettos?? maddie

they arent a waste of breath in the least and if I dont hear from you frequently my spine begins to shrivel ... INgrid
..more and more I infrequent this

awwwwwww Ingrid, you know I can't hold my words for long. Kinda like trying to quit a life long addiction. I tried to disappear once. I lasted a week, and only because the computer was broken and I swear there were friends on the newsgroup that have my phone number that were CALLING me to make sure I was alright!! yer kind honey..... maddie

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:29:43 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

Ok. I'm located in Dayton, OH. It's been warm and humid but these plants do this every year regardless of temp or moisture. I don't know the variety but the leaves are about 12 inches across and variegated. the next time I post a picture it will be to the ng you mentioned. Thanks.

Big Time
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
Aha! Now we are getting somewhere.
I look forward to seeing the picture of the plant in question.
Seeing the picture would help in being able to determine whether it is an environmental cause or a virus problem affecting the plant.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:53:12 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

hosta plant". This occurs every year only to this variety. There is another variegated variety next to this one that is fine. Thanks again.

Big Time
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
After seeing the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, I would go along with Vox and say it is probably Hosta anthracnose:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLN-June1502.html http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/focus/per_hosta.html
You humid spring has only aggravated the problem.

I concure with you Cereus-validus. I went to McKay's used book store in Knoxvegas today and found a book on plant diseases and despite that it only covered what appeared as fruits and vegetable diseases, I found an anthrachnose disease on something that resembled the markings on the hosta exactly. A fungicide will help and removal of infected leaves and sent to the landfill and not composted......(spraying fungicide got rid of anthrachnose on a dogwood I bought infected with it from the nursery and despite that it didn't bloom, the leaves didn't horribly shrivel and drop off like they did last year) madgardener

What type or brand of fungicide did you use? Just curious?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply
Ortho I believe..........(I know, but I had to do something)

it's probably too late now. Big Time
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:31:26 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

fungicide next year as it's probably too late now.
Big Time
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*

I'm a few miles down I75 east of Cincinnati. Mine do the same thing. I think it is due to environmental causes rather than disease or insect damage. I sort of suspect it is due to water and debris on the leaves and maybe mechanical injury to the leaves. Not all of mine seem to be effected. The fortunei group seems the most likely to turn brown. Hosta gold standard and patriot are the worst in my garden.

OK, I did a google search and I think I think I was wrong in my earlier post. Maybe it is hosta anthracnose: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLN-June1502.html http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/focus/per_hosta.html