What odd, interesting things have you dug up while gardening?

Page 3 of 3
Well, for almost seven years (6 times longer than expected to live) we had an opossum living in our brush pile out back. He was a big old thing and would come out the same time every night, first sit in the mesquite tree, then down to the sunflower seeds, then scouring the entire garden for things to eat. I never minded and now and then he had his armadillo friend join in the eats!
Last week my husband came in and said the opossum was very near the house, about 10 feet from the back door, deceased. He must have just died there. He had no attack or injury, but he lived much longer than this animal normally lives in the wild...if you could call a cushy brush pile with tons of food "wild."
So, my dear husband buried him. I asked him, where did you bury him? He said, in the garden. Yow! So, I am fully prepared to forget by spring and fork up the remains. It's just the cycle of life. Everything dies eventually. Not spiritually, but all physical bodies eventually die.
Victoria
FragileWarrior wrote:

That's pretty neat. All my animals are spayed/neutered so I wont get to see any of their progeny but so it goes.

Heh. True enough. Reminds me of the horse communities in real life. It's the reason I lurk on the NG and the same reason I stick to riding the trails in the real world : )

Yup. He's not bad considering he's going on 25 or so this year. He was in the round pen for the first time 2 weeks ago after coming off an injury (stifle) and getting the Very Limited Work treatment. He was bucking and farting and doing crazy spins like a lunatic and the seven year old who was watching said "What's the matter with that horse?" Dad said "Oh he's just too young to have been trained yet." Go figure. I get the one who STILL wears his crazy pants on the outside. Most of the time he's a keeper, though.
My boys (and new mini girl) are

They're beautiful. I love the picture of D'argo scratching against the tree. Prime.
-Jay

I could walk under that branch without ducking, too. Well, while it was still there, I mean. It didn't last too long under all that draft horse ass scratching...
See this one for found items
http://home.golden.net/~dhobson/conburied.htm
I dug up...
the femur of an animal (possibly a deer) a rusted stop sign

A year ago I lost a gold chain bracelet - looked all over the place for it. My wife was royally pissed since she had paid $$$ for it, and later she relented and bought me yet another one.
A couple weeks ago I was turning the compost pile and there it was!!! The lost bracelet - gleaming as brightly as ever!
I debated several minutes as to whether or not to tell HER -- but I did and all she did was laugh and comment, "You shouldn't wear your watch and bracelet while doing yard work!!!" My answer is, "Why not? I found it!" (heh!)
de
--
Everybody is right.
-Rochefoucault

Nice haiku. Thanks, Bill
Several cast iron children's toys. Tons of clams shells. Our home is circa 1820.
The jaw bone of a very, very large dog. A pair of spectacles The main power cable to the house (oops) smokers clay pipes
Janet

Oh, lordy, I hope you don't live anywhere were I used to live. That's FLUFFY!!
BTW, the glasses weren't in the dog's jawbone, were they? Please don't tell the cops.
;)
I have an area sit aside in my garden for the cats that have crossed the Rainbow Bridge and I take care of it. While some of them have not been mine, but strays I tryed to help in their last days, I still cout myself as a cat lover and care for them.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

I live on a old homestead with a 90 + year old house. I have found so many different things form tools, bottles, many beer cans, horseshoes, tiles, pipes, farm equipement and still finding things, Even after rototilling more that once time and years later things seem to appear. The needles use for giving injections to aninmals are a rather scary find but they have been found mosly in the barn.