What odd, interesting things have you dug up while gardening?

Somewhat off topic I know, still????

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You mean like cat poop?

Reply to
Charles

Only if its fossilized smilodon poop!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

We found a gas cooker complete with oven trays and something very old and icky inside, buried about a foot down on it's side at the bottom of our garden when we decided to clear it for a veg patch!

Reply to
bigjon

Jimmy Hoffa.

Best regards, ;-) Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Indian arrowhead. Old bottles frm 1800s. Old rusty pipe joint.

Reply to
JohnS

Marbles, lots of them, antiques. The house I bought was in one family for 40+ years. They raised four boys here. When I began renovating the house I found tons of marbles in the walls and began collecting them.

Then when I started my garden, more marbles. For years I would find them whereever I dug. I think that I must have found most of them by now as I don't run into them very often anymore.

Based on eBay prices I expect that I have 1 $1,000+ in marbles now.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Jimmy Hoffa

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hang on - I thought *I* had Hoffa! Did youse find a large, tasteless gold chain around his neck?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Horseshoes, cow bell.....

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Mainly I discover little toys and playthings my son Tristan tucked in everywhere, especially during his days of playing with those little green plastic soldiers. I get a really wistful feeling these days when I come upon one of his secret forts secreted under a hedge somewhere.

Then there's the occasional long-lost garden implement. I'm still holding out hope of rediscovering an old Bulldog trowel that I've never quite found a satisfying replacement for.

Reply to
kaspian

- Somewhat off topic I know, still????-

Mainly I discover little toys and playthings my son Tristan tucked in everywhere, especially during his days of playing with those little green plastic soldiers. I get a really wistful feeling these days whe

I come upon one of his secret forts secreted under a hedge somewhere.

Then there's the occasional long-lost garden implement. I'm still holding out hope of rediscovering an old Bulldog trowel that I've neve

quite found a satisfying replacement for.

Reply to
sockiescat

Being that the desert fild where my garden is used to be an un-offical dump and burn the trash back in the 40/50's I find all kinds of junk and uncountable broken bottles too. Which if things go right this summer just might supply me with a mirror blank for a telescope mirror.

Reply to
Starlord
1940's calif. car lic plate.
Reply to
Starlord

"JohnS" wrote in news:eo733c$oeu$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Back in NY:

I found an Indian pendant stone. My house was on a well known portage route between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario along the Niagara gorge.

Clay marbles, too, and a small leg from a porcelain doll.

And a complete brick pathway which ran from the house through the backyard for 90' or so...

Here in Indiana:

Medicine bottles. Apparently a doctor had a house/office nearby and he used what is now the horse pasture and our backyard as a dumping ground. My draft horse generally destroys the bottles that pop up in the pasture but not always -- sometimes I get one out intact.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"FragileWarrior"

Keep watch. Maybe something of great value comes up. Some old bottles have good value.

Reply to
JohnS

pennies, marbles a small perfume bottle, about 1 inch diam. an old rusty tine from a cultivator

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

a green computer key that said "Oh Sh**"

Reply to
CATHERINE P BOWERS

We found an old clay inkwell in our garden. We keep it as a bit of history from our old house.

Jacqui

Reply to
Chris and Jacqui

a 1953 thruppence and heaps of old rusty nails.

rob

Reply to
George.com