What can I do about exposed tree roots?

May I suggest for your consideration the following?

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." --Rudyard Kipling

Biological principles are the same for all living organisms. However, scale is very important in biology. Landscape trees are living more or less at the scale and in the environment in which they evolved, and to which they are thus adapted. Bonsai are living in quite different conditions from those in which the organisms evolved and to which they are adapted. It seems to me that the latter are much more delicately balanced at the edge of survival than the former.

Mike Prager On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

With the surface roots you describe, it sounds like they could be maple trees. #1: Don't cut or otherwise injure the roots. #2: If the roots look more like the bark on the tree and aren't creamy white in-ground roots, do not cover them with sod or soil. They need to be exposed or they will rot and eventually kill the tree. It may take 20 or more years, but it will rot the roots and kill the tree. #3: Do not plant under the tree, as you will most likely have to add soil to do so. #4: Your best bet is to remove the existing soil/grass over the roots so they can "breathe", and replace with 2" of bark mulch of your choice. Just be sure to keep the mulch 2-3" away from the trunk of the tree. This is the easiest solution in terms of cutting the lawn without whacking the roots, and far better for the tree in the long run. The University of Wisconsin has an InfoSource message on surface roots at:

this helps! Suzy in Wisconsin

Reply to
S Orth

Don't worry about the tone of your msg--I have a thick skin by now. I, too, misinterpret email and usenet sometimes. It's all part of the game.

As for the roots-and-pruning question, I've only given it cursory attention (been out of town a few days). The initial response I got from tree guys was to agree with me that pruning should not be done to compensate root loss, but that they have no source material at hand to refer to. I hope to dredge up a little something soon. k

Reply to
Treedweller