What can I do about exposed tree roots?

Page 2 of 2
I'm not quite willing to

I am sorry about the tone of my response to you. I have a really hard time deciphering people's attitudes from their posts and I generally assume the worst because that has been my experience with people in general. I agree that there are extreme differences between bonsai and landscape trees but I think the biology is the same. I also agree with you that if you remove as many roots from a landscape tree as a bonsai, you are in BIG trouble and branch trimming may do no good at all. I had difficulty understanding the original poster's situation without knowing the tree species or the age and size of the tree in relation to the size of the roots to be cut and was just trying to impart some general caution about trimming tree roots. I really appreciate the respectful response you gave me. I guess I should give people more credit but the lack of ethics in American politics and corporations have spilled over into my personal expectation of the population in general.
figaro wrote:

May I suggest for your consideration the following?
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." --Rudyard Kipling

Biological principles are the same for all living organisms. However, scale is very important in biology. Landscape trees are living more or less at the scale and in the environment in which they evolved, and to which they are thus adapted. Bonsai are living in quite different conditions from those in which the organisms evolved and to which they are adapted. It seems to me that the latter are much more delicately balanced at the edge of survival than the former.
Mike Prager On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Don't worry about the tone of your msg--I have a thick skin by now. I, too, misinterpret email and usenet sometimes. It's all part of the game.
As for the roots-and-pruning question, I've only given it cursory attention (been out of town a few days). The initial response I got from tree guys was to agree with me that pruning should not be done to compensate root loss, but that they have no source material at hand to refer to. I hope to dredge up a little something soon. k