interior pond

I just moved into a tropical bungalow which has a shallow indoor pond. Its new but hasn't been used for several years. I switched it on over the weekend and its seems ok. But the water flow is dead slow at the end of the pond. And I'm worried about it breeding mossies. there might also be some problem with it. I'm hoping that some of you here who are more knowledgable about such matters can help me and offer some constructive advice.

(I can't ask the previous owner/builder; he moved off in a hurry overseas and can't be contacted)

But first some info... Its large - measuring 14 feet by 14 feet. But the depth is shallow- and measures an average of only an inches. the concrete floor also covered by a river rocks.

Its flanked on both ends by two drains where the pumps and outlet pipes sit (inside). The twon drains are very deep and hold about 5% of the pond water. The two pumps and what appears to be a drain value are on one end; the outlet nozzles and pipes are on the opposite drain- which is on slightly higher ground.

When I checked it out, the drains were still full of old water. I filled the pond full of water then turned on the pumps. One section worked. The other section didn't; its pipes are embedded into the concrete and I assumed join the 2nd filter pump.

So I had water nicely flowing on the left side of the pond. Whilst the right side was slightly stagnant. Concrete paving steps line the middle section of the pond and prevent the working side from helping out the non-working section. And as mentioned river rocks cover the entire place. The water flow is barely a trickle at the end of the pond closest to the pumps, filters, and drain valve.

To cut a long story short, the problem is that the pond is too shallow on one end. The flow of water is not vigourous or flowing in 60% of the pond and in certain section esp at the drain where the pumps are - the water is a trickle.

Whats the best way to prevent mossies from breeding in the stagnant parts of the pond. Even if I stop the pumps, the water still sits in the drains and does not go away.

I thought of adding chlorine into the pond or herbal oil or even cheap lemon detergent.

Much obliged for your kind comments.

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

Hi Wilde, There is something called mosquito dunks or mosquito donuts. It als comes in granular form. It's harmless to humans and animals and i Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt. It can be purchased at most garde centers, especially those that specialize in ponds and pond plants. Here's a couple of sites that should be helpful.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

yes. it doesnt take much bleach to keep mossies down, also this would keep algae down too. If you want circulation on the other side consider a small pump. Of course, using bleach dont add fish or plants. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

AT:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Guppies Mollies Platys Live fish limit your choice of chemicals however. BTI a bacterial mosquito larvacide is harmless to fish, no larvae will survive the fish however.

Reply to
bamboo