weed-wrangling tools

I was watching HGTV this morning and was interested in one of the tools shown in this link.

is the specific tool I'm interested in:
anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing one, but I wasn't looking for it either. His looks worn... he says he uses it a lot, but I wonder if it is still in production.

TIA

Reply to
sf

Hmm, don't remember seeing that one. But I have seen the dandelion corkscrew (figure G at

being sold at Merrifield Garden Center (
) in suburban Washington, DC.

Your post is the first time I've seen any reference to the corkscrew. I was intrigued by it in the store but somewhat skeptical about whether it would really be an improvement over the old standby dandelion spade (

Jim Kingdon

> This is the specific tool I'm interested in:

I don't know, but if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, you're missing out on something good:

I had to have just one weeding tool, that would be it. Amazing. Nothing argues with that tool.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

the "dandelion spade" (which is a common garden tool) will not unless you really dig. Did you notice that all three tools had long handles, so you don't have to stoop or bend to do your weeding?

Reply to
sf

>>> This is the specific tool I'm interested in:

Joe, that's just another stoop labor tool. I want the pronged one with the long handle. You just stick it in the ground, turn and pull out the weed.

Reply to
sf

I know. I'm just pointing out something you might not have otherwise found. On day, you'll run into a weed with a woody root that absolutely MUST be murdered. This tool will do it. And, for reasons I can't explain, you'll be able to do it with a beer in the other hand. Something about the design of the tool. It's weight, shape, something.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A neighbor introduced me to one of those tools -- it's called a hori knife -- and I hardly use any of my other tools any more. Nothing, but nothing, gets stuff out of the ground the way it does. Yes, I have to stoop to use it, but it does such a good job that the weed is far less likely to come back because a bit of root has been left behind.

It also does all the other things mentioned in the link.

helco

Reply to
helco

>>> Does anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing

That tool is common. I have more than one of them. ;)

Oh, I wish you'd actually seen the show now. He said when tap roots are severed, they often revive. That prong thing takes them out tap root and all.

See this tool: you can do it with one foot and one hand (beer in the other one) without stooping, but long tap roots could only be severed so you might not really kill the plant.

sf

helco expounded:

I use something similar and have found it to be absolutely indispensible - I bought mine from A. M. Leonard.

Ann

> This is the specific tool I'm interested in:

Does anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing

Maybe you could write the show, or join their discussion group to question Mr. TV Gardener. I've spent a bit of time searching the HGTV site and the web, and not found it. Pretty irresponsible to show a gadget and not mention how to get one. Kinda like Norm and his Yankee Workshop. Pretty easy to build that fancy cabinet when you have more top o' the line power shop tools (and a clamp collection worth more than the project) than my house is worth.......

This looks similar:

cat daddy

I know what you mean. I'm referring to evil things with horizontal woody stems that run for several feet. The only "stand up" tool that'll touch these is a pitch fork or spade, and other than exposing such roots for further attention, they're the wrong tools for the job.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

plant.http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/gby1206_4d__prongs_and_springload...>> --

This tool with 4 prongs is also a little too wide for using in lawns, unless you don't mind having a big hole in your turf. There are several multi-prong tools on the market. They all have the same limitation of failing to dig out deep roots that go beyond the length of the prongs.

Use your favorite search engine to find "deep root weeding tools". There are several good ones with back-saving features, as well. Search for "weeding tools comparison" to find a variety of tools that you probably won't see in your Home Depot store.

________________________________ At peace with weeds... Are you a weeding tool expert? ergonica.com/weeder_features.htm#Tool_Expert

Reply to
raycruzer

I use, and really like this one from LeeValley:

a plug with the roots and all, so I feel I'm aerating the soil at the same time.

> This is the specific tool I'm interested in:
Does anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing

Reply to
snotbottom

Wonder if it's a different mfgr or?

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

If you notice, the knife on the original site comes with a sheath and costs $25. The one Persephone found is $16.99 but it has no sheath. If you scroll down, there's a sheath for sale for 7:99. Same difference. The sheath has a belt loop.

helco

helco

Reply to
helco

I have used this tool for 4 years and it is a delight to use, gets dandelion roots and the roots of any weed I've used it on, including crabgrass. No stooping or bending at all. It's made by Fiskars. Do a google search for Fiskar's uproot weeder. The link is to one I found on Amazon.com

Happy weeding, Gloria

> This is the specific tool I'm interested in:

Reply to
Gloria

Persephone expounded:

It's the A. M. Leonard Co.'s house brand. It's plenty sturdy, works just like the hori, I just love it and have bought one for my mom, also.

Reply to
Ann

I think you have also figured out that their forums are no more informative on specific products than what I found here and it's impossible to write the show. Yes, I came here in a fit of pique. Thank you for understanding.

Reply to
sf

helco expounded:

Persephone didn't find it, I did, and frequently A. M. Leonard will offer the combo for $19.99. Just not right now.

Reply to
Ann