weed abatement

I have a good size garden that I am fortunate enough to have a tractor dig up so I can start again this spring from scratch . The past two years I pulled weeds, used mulch, and did basically did not use any type chemicals. I did let everything go last year so I am starting all over. Before I start planting again, does anyone have any opinions about weed control -organic or not???? I will plant vegetables in the majority of it and then some flowers. The grass is the biggest problem.
M.E. wrote:

We use newspaper between the rows and up and around the plants themselves. About four layers seem to do the trick and keep 99% of the weeds from coming up. We hand hoe until the weather consistently stays at 70F or higher and then lay the papers down. Don't use advertising inserts as I'm not sure of the ink source for them. Newsprint is generally just carbon black in a soy oil base and the comics use a dye made with natural earths in most cases so neither should affect your soil. You might check with your local paper(s) first though.
I've also known people who laid cardboard down in the garden to prevent weeds from growing but can't vouch for the effect it has.
George
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:01:55 -0600, George Shirley

What about landscape cloth? Any experience out there?
Persephone
--
A king can stand people fighting but
he can't last long if people start
Persephone wrote:

Lots of folks use landscape cloth but it's a little expensive for a larger garden. Most nurseries that plant outside use it to save on weeding labor, even the ones that plant in the ground inside a greenhouse. (We live about an hours drive from the "Nursery Capitol of Louisiana).
I've been wanting to try the new version (a few years old) of red landscape cloth under tomatoes, supposed to really do the job on increasing production.
DW finally bought a roll of the regular landscape cloth to cover a strip flower bed along the west fence line. Wild strawberries and dollar weed were taking over and we don't use herbicides so the landscape cloth works at that better than trying to cover with papers.
George
George Shirley Persephone wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:01:55 -0600, George Shirley snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:
M.E. wrote:
I have a good size garden that I am fortunate enough to have a tractor dig up so I can start again this spring from scratch . The past two years I pulled weeds, used mulch, and did basically did not use any type chemicals. I did let everything go last year so I am starting all over. Before I start planting again, does anyone have any opinions about weed control -organic or not???? I will plant vegetables in the majority of it and then some flowers. The grass is the bigges problem.
We use newspaper between the rows and up and around the plants themselves. About four layers seem to do the trick and keep 99% of the weeds from coming up. We hand hoe until the weather consistently stays at 70F or higher and then lay the papers down. Don't use advertising inserts as I'm not sure of the ink source for them. Newsprint is generally just carbon black in a soy oil base and the comics use a dye made with natural earths in most cases so neither should affect your soil. You might check with your local paper(s) first though.
I've also known people who laid cardboard down in the garden t prevent weeds from growing but can't vouch for the effect it has.
George
What about landscape cloth? Any experience out there?
Persephone
Lots of folks use landscape cloth but it's a little expensive for a larger garden. Most nurseries that plant outside use it to save on weeding labor, even the ones that plant in the ground inside a greenhouse. (We live about an hours drive from the "Nursery Capitol of Louisiana).
I've been wanting to try the new version (a few years old) of red landscape cloth under tomatoes, supposed to really do the job on increasing production.
DW finally bought a roll of the regular landscape cloth to cover strip flower bed along the west fence line. Wild strawberries and dolla weed were taking over and we don't use herbicides so the landscape cloth works at that better than trying to cover with papers.
George
if u wanted to use a herbicide on your garden area one of the best one to use is roundup its made by monsanto. it is a contact herbicide tha is good especially on different kinds of grasses and it is not systemi so u can plant your garden within ten days of spraying. hope this help u some. cyaaaa, sockiescat
-- sockiescat

a cheap weed matting is used carpet or better still carpet underfelt. Dependant where you are local waste exchange outfits, recycling centres or carpet layers may have stuff going cheap or free. Obviously checking to see what is in the carpet may be good if you are concerned with contamination.
An organic weed spray is http://www.certifiedorganics.co.nz/index.cfm/pid_16/ but you will need to check you can get it where you live. It is made from pine oil and dehyrdrates the plant but WILL NOT kill the root system so a repeat may be necessary. I much prefer it to glycosate sprays although it is more expensive and you need to cover most of the plant. Other oil based derivatives are also available.
rob
Mulch of any type is the organic method of choice. You can cover some ground with polyethylene plastic and it will cook most of the weeds dead when the sun shines on it. If you continue to till or plow ground that has the dreaded "quack grass" then you will be propagating the weeds by chopping them up, thus multiplying the potential problem.
Use a weed twister around the edges of the polyethylene plastic, newspaper or other barriers, or wherever the weeds pop up.
check out this link for the highest quality weed control ever!
http://www.growerssupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId 551&storeId001&langId=-1&division=GrowersSupply&productId9811