Mail order source for quantity discount of mint plants?

Hi all, I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+ or so) and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source for lots of plants with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd really love chocolate mint but I'll take the other kinds, too.

If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities but so far, no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Reply to
Fragile Warrior

"Fragile Warrior" wrote in news:43fa5ddf$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Do you have any idea how invasive mint is??? Within a couple of years, you will have your 100' of length and also 100' of depth! Now, if you're planning to put them in secure containers almost buried into the ground, it might work for you.

I have about a dozen varieties of mints (kept solely as novelties) and I've learned to keep them very much under control! Once they escape, it takes a lot of work to get them back. But they are lovely, and yes, chocolate mint is one of my favourites, too.

Jim Zone 6, Niagara

Reply to
Jim McQuiggin

Just plant 1 plant then wait 3 years. You'll have the fence line and most of the yard covered in mint. Mint is highly invasive, it is not recommended that you plant mint in the ground, you will no doubt regret it later.

Read this for a greater explanation:

Snooze

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

What do you mean, "it might work for you"? I think what you are picturing what I want it for is different than what I, in reality, want it for.

And I want a large quantity of it. Does anyone know a mail order source for quantity discounts?

Reply to
Fragile Warrior

Call Stokes,

, which is right in your area, and ask if they can hook you up with a grower who may have purchased mint seeds from them. And, check out
for growers. Ignore the word "organic" all over the site, if you like. Other than these ideas, I'd guess that 1/2 hour with google would help you find some commercial growers.

Keep in mind, too, that for about ten bucks, you could get seeds of 2-3 varieties, and grow your own.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Mint spreads like wild fire, so I wouldn't buy so many, just one o each variety would be enough. Buy the smallest and cheapest, as it wil grow fast. It is very, VERY invasive. You'll find herb nurseries on web. Try - snipped-for-privacy@barwinnock.com along with other nurseries and find bes prices. (They have chocolate mint as well) Each plant will be about £

- £1.20 or so

-- Aly

Reply to
Aly

I gave an email address in last post, but it hasn't appeared, I've go a few addresses that you can try. I'll have another go - snipped-for-privacy@barwinnock.co

-- Aly

Reply to
Aly

you only need 10 to 20 plants, so you are angling for a few dollars discount. One plant covers a square yard in about two years. Make sure you can mow on either side of the fence line. 10 to 20 plants are nothing for someone who has an established stand, it's the vegetation of about half a square foot.

Reply to
simy1

if anyone ever DOES give you a name or names of a source for buying mass quantities of a variety of mints, could you PLEASE email me at the address below my signature?? PLEASE??

otherwise, both you and i should hit

check out THEIR places for finding SOURCES. i guess i'll toddle over there now.....and if i find anything, first, i'll let you know here, k??

i want mass quantities of mint, too, to take over the grass; this way the area will still look green but will not be the source of food for grasshopper, japanese beetle, and other grubs who munch on grass roots all winter and spring.

this'll teach 'em!!!!

Reply to
RAINDEAR

A grower I know of in California supplies various herbs (including some mints) in plug trays of 128 plants for $52.80 (about $0.42 per plant). One catch is they must all be of the same plant. Another catch is shipping. If you live in the far west of the US (basically the coastal states and those adjoining them) shipping is by ground and cheap, but if you live anywhere else shipping is by air and expensive.

maxsilverstar

William Wagner

You can take all the mint in my yard, dig up every root from the 40-50 plants you find, cut these runners into 100 pieces and you will have

100 plants growing quickly. My yard will of course still be infested.
Reply to
J.R. in MI