Have radiator threads changed size?

Hi All,

We are coming to the end of having the builders in (I don?t plan to ever do it again!).

The latest is, we asked him to have the plumber fit thermostic valves to so me of our existing radiators.....

Plumber said it can?t be done, as our rads are 3/4? whereas the valves are 1/2?.

Is he right? Or is it just a question of unscrewing the tail from the rad a nd screwing in one to take the half inch valve?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

alan_m

?

Reply to
dennis

The tails seem to have changed from unions to pipe inserts with an olive

But I'd expect with a radiator hex key, you could take the union ends out, and screw in the pipe inserts that come with the new TRVs.

All the parts in my bag of bits (blanking plugs, plugs with bleed screws, brass union tails, chrome compression tails) look the same thread ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sack the plumber! Of course it can be done.

If the ports in the radiator are *truly* 3/4"BSP, you can get bushes which screw into those, with a 1/2" BSP thread on the inside into which you can screw a standard radiator tail.

But the bloke sounds so clueless that I wonder whether they *are*

3/4"BSP - bearing in mind that the thread on a 1/2" BSP fitting is approx. 3/4" in diameter. It's very unusual these days to find radiators with anything other than 1/2" BSP threads.
Reply to
Roger Mills

The fitting in the rad for the tails is the same, even if many modern TRVs use a stub of 15mm pipe that goes in the rad socket, and the valve makes a compression fitting onto it rather than the traditional cone joint.

However, as you rightly suggest, there is nothing stopping you removing the tail from the rad an using the one that comes with the TRV.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 about sacking the plumber.

But there are two different thread pitches of very similar diameter found on the "copper" side of radiator valves, which can be confusing.

Reply to
newshound

I've certainly found different thread pitches used on compression joints for connecting radiator valves to the external pipework - which I think is waht you are referring to. But never on the tails themselves - they are always 1/2" BSP.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If a plumber does't have it in the van it can't be done!

Reply to
DerbyBorn