Violets

I have had violets for years. They sit in a window with indirect light and flower often. I water them by soaking them in a bowl of water for 1 hour once a week. I was told never to get the leaves wet. Sometimes they have leaves that go straight up and sometimes I get leaves that look soggy and flop down. Should I only have one per pot or can there be more? Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks, Dale
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Dale,
I suppose you are talking about African Violets. They should always be in their own pot and need to be fertilized often. It is natural for some leaves to die.
There is tons of information on the net about them. Just use your favorite search engine and you will find anything you need to know about them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

I assume you are referring to African Violets. You can grow these as one crown per pot to get a symmetrical plant. Or, you can grow several crowns in one pot. They grow best in a pot that is not too large--4" is about the ideal largest. As the plant grows the lower leaves die and new leaves appear from the center. Cold water on the fuzzy leaves can leave an ugly spot. Use African Violet potting soil for best results. Filtered morning sun is good.