Turnip question

Hi Guys,

I was looking over at Burpee for Turnip seeds and found these

questions:

1) under the growing info tab, it states "Sow thinly in rows 11/2-2? apart". Is this a typo? Should this be 1-1/2" to 2" apart?

2) In the main page is states "1 Pkt. (600 Seeds)". 600 seeds! Does this mean microseeds like carrot seeds? Yikes! What a pain in the neck to plant!

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Some gardeners mix tiny seeds with another medium, like maybe sand, to make= sowing easier.

Re:carrot seeds, I don't see them as particularly tiny, compared to some ot= her seeds.

If you don't want to sow 600 seeds, just pick up a smaller packet at your n= eighbohood nursery.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

> Some questions:

It probably isn't a typo but I would make the rows closer if the soil was good, say 8-12"

They will be fairly small seeds but that isn't such a problem. You don't place them one-by-one. If you don't have the knack of sprinkling thinly out of the packet then dilute with sand or fine sandy soil in a tin can, bend the edge to make a spout. Tilt and tap gently, you ought to be able to adjust the rate they come out quite accurately.

David Hare-Scott

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

sowing easier.

neighbohood nursery.

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

Todd wrote: ...

1.5 to 2 feet apart. yes, they can get that big if you want to let them go for greens or winter fodder for animals.

use a square shovel to put down a flat bottomed trench at the right depth, put the seeds down in a row in the center. use a wide rake to gently move the seeds to cover the bottom of the trench (two swipes, one in each direction is often enough for me). cover with dirt at right depth. water in. thin as recommended.

method where no thinning is needed, use a very small dab of Elmers glue on toilet paper or the cheapest hand towels you can find. space them as recommended on the package. sprinkle seeds so they stick to the glue. let dry. bury these pieces of paper at the right depth. water in. no thinning should be needed. the glue dissolves and the paper also degrades. takes a little time to do, but very efficient use of seeds and doesn't require time later for thinning.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Okay, its the rows they are talking about. Now I understand.

How far apart should the seeds be from each other?

And, if you do have to thin, how far apart should the resultant sprouts be from each other?

Thank you!

Question: if you do have to thin, can you eat what you pull up?

-T

Reply to
Todd