Trip to Ness Gardens has sparked many ID questions! (HELP?)

Hey there i recently paid a visit to Ness Botanical Gardens to spark some insiration for a large garden i have recently aquired due to moving. Me and my partner found so many plants we loved and would like to grow in our garden but there just wasn't enough info or enough name tags to help us, so we need your help! I wouldnt say i was a complete beginner to gardening or plants, i just have no idea on the names on the following.
Please could you help!
James.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: P1060995.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 348| |Filename: P1060996.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 349| |Filename: P1060998.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 350| |Filename: P1070018.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 351| |Filename: P1070008.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 352| |Filename: P1070021.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 353| |Filename: P1070024.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 354| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
Semaj

#13351 I believe is a Viburnum
Semaj;897892 Wrote: > Just one more post, i'm sorry!! lol.

Sorry, but with Dialup it is just too slow to spend the time looking at the pictures. But I could suggest that you join the Friends of Ness group and then you would get all your plants identified very easily.
Or you could join the Alpine Garden Society Wirral and West Cheshire group which meets in Burton Village Hall and ask the former Director of Ness Gardens who is the groups secretary.
I think the first picture is of Paulonia tomentosa by the size of the leaves.
Owdboggy

# 13348 Looks like a Ligularia, maybe L. alatipes. (It's difficult to find a photo with a closeup of the foliage)
It isn't a Paulownia; its leaves have smooth edges.
(Good job Pat)
Emilie NorCal
addendum to previous post:
in photo #13349 notice the two leaves in Center, Left edge they don't seem to be the same plant ???
mle
Pat Kiewicz said:

like
I don't think this is Ligularia; the texture of the leaves is wrong and Ligularia leaves (so far as my experience goes) don't have the 'plume' shape that the leaves in this picture seem to have.
I've more sympathy to the suggestion of Viburnum, which was a thought I'd had, based on the leaf texture, but the shape of the leaves in the picture doesn't really seem to fit with this ID either.
Take a close look at the top two leaves, and notice the way the leaf blade continues down into the plant.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

No this is not the plant I thought of as Ligularia. It is # 13348 Look here species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ligularia_alatipes

This is #13351 and I thought Viburnum at first also (maybe acerifolium) but I noticed the above characteristic, too. No ideas yet...........Emilie

mleblanca said:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 348| http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 349|
I was thinking these are two views of the same plant. (Look particularly at the leaves at the left edge of #13349.)
13348 is barely serrate and /almost/ on the path to being plamately lobed.
Ligularia alatipes is more serrate and comes to points /behind/ the petiole attachment.
(I just assumed you were referring to the unidentified plant, especially since I know there are a number of Ligularia cultivars that are known for their red leaves.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Pat Here are some excellent photos of Moonseed:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/meca.html
The leaves are not serrate.............
Some of the leaves on #49 look like moonseed and some do not. I'm wondering if moonseed is growing on and out of another plant. Some leaves in #49 look to be serrate and some are not. The leaves of the other plant resemble moonseed, but seem to be the leaves pictured in #48, which are serrate.
If that is the size of the plant in #48, then no, it is not Ligurlaria.
Complicated. No? The Viburnum/ Lettuce is still a mystery.
I need to get my lettuce and broccoli started. May be 100 F tomorrow. Ack! Emilie
mleblanca said:

Yeah, I figured this was possibly some sort of grape (Vitus) and not moonseed. Though it has a moonseed-y shaped leaf sort of like the wild grapes that keep trying to invade my back yard rather than the classic grapes leaf shape.
The key feature for IDing moonseed is the petiole attachment. It's not at the edge of the leaf blade, but set in from the edge a slight bit.
(I wouldn't be surprised if it were to turn out to be some entirely different plant, though.)

Cleared a bed for the fall lettuce and bok choy, and thinned the pots of seedlings. We've cooled off down to 'normal' temperatures, but the quarter inch of rain we got Saturday was disappointing, considering how long it rained.
The rain has been mostly missing us, the last couple of weeks.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Rain? What is "rain" I forget................ We only got up to 98.6 today. mle

In article

Ack! Indeed, Bubby.
--
- Billy

=============== Y'all must have good eyesight - I had a fair bit of trouble making that out even after being led right by the nose to it. Doesn't much look like anything I remember. With so many missing tags I guess the staff must not mind being pestered with incessant ID questions.