Help to ID failed capacitor

During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

Thanks in anticipation

Reply to
CB

Suspect it is a 'filter' cap and seems to say PME271M568 which according to rifa is obsolete

And from its number looks like it should be a 0.068uF (68nF) rated at

250VAC (and I would suggest X or Y rated as it is across the mains

have some similar but not 68nF

However ebay item 370643508373 looks like the chappie

HTH

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Just cut it out for now. It's an RF supression capacitor, which will make listening to AM radio difficult whilst the mixer is running without it, but the mixer won't care.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It looks like an X2 suppression cap + resistor in a single package designed to be wired straight across the mains in.

Plenty of similar beasties out there. Normally about 0.1 uF, although that one appears a little lower at about 0.07 uF (its not going to be that critical)

John Rumm

Bad form I know but ...

A search of farnell for pme271M568

give 4 items that look to be what you need, & less expensive than ebay but there is likely a minimum order from Farnell.

RS also stock them.

Regards

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Thanks all for the rapid responses - and for the other responders advice that till I get a replacement it can run without - no one local to be bothered by AM interference.

Regards.

Reply to
CB

This may help

a 0.47 and a 0.15 are the usuals.

Search google groups for my thread on fixing a kenwood in UK DIY

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you - some interesting photos (even though my machine is not a chef).

I'm fairly new to uk-diy but interested to note that threads degenerating into UNIX code and slanging matches is nothing new or unusual :-)

Reply to
CB

I encountered something like this on a high-end compound microscope. It had gone short-circuit and kept blowing fuses. Had some self-resonant frequency marked on it for some reason - not sure what on earth that would be necessary for. It only had a light, no motor(s).

Reply to
cd

I've got a box full as they are used, and frequently fail, on old Farnell power supplies. Send me your details and I'll put one in the post for you.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Guess you are not alone...

Chris K

Reply to
ChrisK

Thanks for the offer, but I picked one up today in Maplin. (yes I know but I was nearby, could buy only one and had no postal charges)

Reply to
CB

A Christmas classic! Someone took exception to The Natural Philosopher uploading straight-out-of-camera to his _own_ web space. My mum's Chef is doing fine since the repair.

Reply to
Part Timer

Although it will be dearer get one as a spare part from the manufacturers.

Reply to
F Murtz

Wow, you do like to consistently dig up old posts! Dec 2104, about the same as the "letter box idea".

Reply to
Fredxxx

What century are you living in? :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

En el artículo , Fredxxx escribió:

^^^^

Your time machine also seems to be in good working order :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson