Transplanting Mexican Hats

I have some Mexican Hats that are well established in my pole garden (called a pole garden because there is a birdhouse pole in the middle of it). The foliage has already started coming up in one big clump, and I'd like to move it. They are pretty plants, but tend to take over too much area, so I'd like to move them where they can have all the room they want. My question is...can I just dig up the whole big clump and transplant it to another area, or will this kill them?

Thanks for any info:) Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

What in the freak are you calling "Mexican Hats"?

Use the proper scientific name if you expect an intelligent reply, trashypussy.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Ratibida columnaris can be transplanted, but don't always survive. If you do, take the largest clump of soil with it as you can and make sure the ground is moist when you dig them out. Do not dig out dry soil with dry roots.

escape

The problem is that's not the only plant commonly called "Mexican Hats".

The name is also given to several different succulents and other plants as well.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

I thought mexican hats were a large round mushroom that grows on the walls of mexican restaurants.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Reply to
madgardener

Intelligent reply? Not from you even if I DID have the scientific name..why do you constantly belittle people in here...not enough attention at home?

To everyone else, I"m sorry, but when somebody calls you trashypussy, you gotta say something back

Reply to
bill

Oh wait...NOW I get it...trashypussy as in my ID junkyardcat!! Sorry for the outburst ya'll:) You could've said trashy cat though, LOL! Ah well...nobody's perfect:)

Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Hi:)

I guess that's the name of them...I don't know for sure. But they are deep brownish red and yellow and look like a sombrero:)

Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Sure, I agree, but I narrowed it down to something common based on the description of foliage and that it spreads around. It reseed's aptly. So, that's how I arrived at my conclusion. You are right, though. People would get much more specific answers if they would use the botanical names. Unfortunately, as my usual mantra goes, people are lazy.

escape

I still contend that usually there's always a motive for the effect. IN this case it's rather obvious so I laughed out loud. Sorry.

escape

Now who do you think you are?

Bill the cat?

ACK!!!!

If you don't get it, its better if you don't say anything rather than make yourself look stoopid.

Not everything looks better with blue bonnet on it, you twilly hairball.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Finally, her eyes are open!!!

It thought I was going to need to draw you a picture.

You must be a bit groggy after your cat naps.

Back to the original question: