Mexican Orchid Species Resource

I stumbled across this vast archive of what appears to be a Mexican
species manuscript. It is very professionally compiled, but most of
it appears to be written in Spanish (unfortunately, I only understand
English). Here's the link:

Look for the six files whose names begin with 'InfP107' as they are
written in English, and contain a list of orchid species.
If anyone can provide more information about this, I'd be
appreciative.
Reply to
Larry Dighera
Hi Larry
I don't speak Spanish either but using AltaVista Babel
the introduction translates from:
"Este estudio tiene como finalidad la actualización de la nomenclatura de los taxa mexicanos de la familia Orchidaceae mediante el estudio crítico de los tipos existentes y una revisión extensiva de material adicional y la literatura del tema, así como la resolución de los problemas de tipificación existentes de los nombres basados en material mexicano."
"This study has as purpose the update of the nomenclature of taxa Mexican of the Orchidaceae family by means of the critical study of the existing types and an extensive revision of additional material and the literature of the subject, as well as the resolution of the existing problems of tipificación of the names based on Mexican material."
Despite it having a posting date of April 2006, the report was completed in October 1995 which makes it reasonably old by current taxonomy standards.
Nevertheless, it is a very interesting report which I have downloaded for future reference. The beauty is that it is a searchable PDF file!
(My wish for next Christmas - that the AOS would publish on its web page a searchable cumulative index in PDF format of all issues of the AOS bulletin/orchids magazine which would make my collection so much more useful! I can but dream.....)
Larry, thanks for posting this interesting link.
Cheers
John
Reply to
John Varigos
John,
Alex Maximiano is compiling something or other for AOS. I cannot remember whether it is the AQs or an index for Orchids. Alex, are you out there?
Diana
Reply to
Diana Kulaga
The picture ref database at the London, Ontario Orchid Society site can help you find stuff about a particular species as long as there was a picture with the article,
This is a great resource. -danny
Reply to
danny
Diana,
OrchidWiz Encyclopedia 4.0, coming out at the end of April, will allow users to search the titles of all the Orchids bulletins as well as Orchid Digest. The work in preparing for this is mostly complete and is independent of any AOS project.
As for the AOS, there has been a lot of talk about reproducing the Orchids bulletins in a searchable digital publication. My understanding is that this project was stalled for awhile but is alive again. However, no one there has officially conctated me about it nor am I involved in that project in any way. I support the AOS so if they contact me I will do the best I can.
I hope this answers your questions.
Best regards and Happy Holidays!
Alex
Reply to
Alex Maximiano
Hi Alex and Diana
Late reply due to computer crash!!
This is good news as the magazines are almost useless without a cumulative index. I haven't the time to wade through 25 + years of magazines to find a particular article so the magazines sit on my bookshelves gathering dust. Look impressive but totally useless after they have been read and filed.
I was about to start scanning the indices myself - might still do it -and making a cumulative index that I could search.
Good luck and Happy New Year to all.
Cheers
John
Reply to
John Varigos
Another choice for the time being would be to use Bob Betts' excellent Orchid Pictures Query at
His sources include, among many others, AOS Bulletins from 1954 through May 2006, Awards Quarterly from 1976 through September 2006 and Orchid Digest from 1976 through March 2006. If you found a picture, you could assume there might also be an article about the said orchid.
Reka
Reply to
Reka

Site Timeline Threads