Dazzling Double Columbines!

Paghat, I stopped by your website this morning to get some ideas for my yard's shady areas. Where on earth did you get so many incredible varieties of Columbine? Those doubles, like the Ruby Port, are gorgeous! I've never seen anything like them around here. Perhaps they don't fare well here in Zone 9? If they would enjoy the warmth of the California sun, would you mind sharing where you got these beautiful double Columbines?

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

Zone 9 might indeed be warm for columbines, but in a moist shady location they're supposed to do okay even in Zone 9, so surely worth a try (when some standard advice says they are good for zones 3-9, they really mean

4-8 but that it can sometimes be stretched a little above or a little below).

The doubles (& especially Ruby Port) are quite common offerings in nurseries in appropriate zones, so I'd at least ask at your best local nurseries to see what they say about growing these in your area. If they really won't be stocking them at any time, you could get them mail order & try them even so; try to find a mail order source that is someplace also of zone 9.

I got mine from all sorts of local nurseries over the years, but nearby Bainbridge Gardens about once a year gets in something like 50 different varieties, some of them somewhat rare, & that's where I got the really odd cyclamen-like double columbine.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I've had cyclamens on the brain lately; I didn't mean cyclamen-like but clematis-like. That one's shown here:

paghat