Three sisters

Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash) using the Native American method? Bill
Yes and the information I have found from Extension Agencies as well as Texas A&M says its not such a great idea.

Did they happen to mention why it is not such a great idea?

cornstalks for support. Squash, however, requires a lot of room and a lot of sun, and is better off away from the shade of a cornpatch.
wrote

My father tried this a couple of years ago and whether due to his inexperience, or the method not being great, it wasn't a success.
Callen in VA
On 3/17/05 10:05 AM, in article d1c6cd$a70$ snipped-for-privacy@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU,

I've seen it done up in NE - I wonder if the cooler temps help the grower.
Cheryl
William Barger wrote:

the corn and it's impossible to harvest the corn without having to step on the squash vines. Production of the squash wasn't too great either. Getting into the corn patch to pick beans was a hassle also. This year each will have it's own separate growing area. I like to hill up the corn due to high wind problems here and it's nye impossible with squash and beans inter planted with the corn.
We grow squash amid our corn, with good results, although sometimes its hard to get to the squash for harvest. This is in zone 6 in Ohio.
William Barger wrote:

there.